Why Do We Dream?

ECKANKAR, Dreams, Prophecy, GuidanceBy Harold Klemp

Why do we dream?  Why is it important to dream?  Because dreaming comes from the creative imagination, which is God’s gift to you and me.  It is the nature of immortal Soul to dream.  This is why your dreams, both in everyday life and while asleep, are so important.

Through your ability to dream, you often have experiences in the other worlds where you act as an observer.  But as you move farther along, you become the participant in your dreams.  You become the actor.

You begin to see goals, spiritual goals which may be as valid as finding a home for your family.  You want a place where they can be happy, a haven away from the fast pace of today’s society.  You create a warm place where friends are welcome.

It’s a place where you can go, a home, a spiritual dream.  Because as we plan our homes, whether it’s a rented home or one we buy, we’re just thinking of a higher home. It’s the home of Soul.  The place where Soul has come from, from the heart of God in the Ocean of Love and Mercy.

Dream.  Dream your way home.  Dream your way back to God.  Use your creative imagination, because that’s the only way you can return to the source of all life.

Dreams Happen in a Real World

Dreams touch every level of our life.  They may let us glimpse the future, or give suggestions for healing, or share insights into our relationships.  Above all, they can and will steer us more directly toward God.

What is this fantasy about dreams?

First, understand that the dream world is anything but a fantasy.  A “confused” dream simply shows the inability of our mind to accept truth head-on, so it bends the facts and artfully weaves them into a story line that is less likely to cause us distress.  Yes, dreams are real.

A mother listening to her young daughter tell of an inner experience from the night before dismissed it offhand as only a dream.  The girl quickly corrected her.  “Not just a dream, Mom,” she said.  “It was real.”

So, first, understand that the land of dreams is an actual place.  Second, any experience you gain in the dream world is as useful to you spiritually as any of those you may have here in the human body.

To grasp the universal nature of dreams, take a step back and imagine that you are standing at the top of all worlds.  The identity that can do that, to command a view even of creation itself, is the real you—eternal Soul.  Soul is a child of God, and, by nature, godlike.  And so It can share in the divine attributes of wisdom, joy, freedom, and divine love.

So why doesn’t It?  Why don’t you?

Your dreams are like a telescope that can give a better view of something that is normally out of reach: your spiritual side.  That includes how you act, feel, reflect, think, react, and even love.  Most people fear putting the telescope of dreams to their eye, afraid of what they might see.

Your Hidden Life

Dreams are a direct line to the sea of our hidden life, much like a fishing line dropped from a small boat into a bottomless sea.

A person who learns to dream well can usually take everyday life in stride, because dreams give him or her a perception that others cannot help but notice.  An understanding of dreams can steady us for the surprises of the day, and so aid us in learning to manage stress with more foresight and grace.

Dreams often tell what’s coming.

A friend from the air force and I keep in touch with an exchange of letters every few months.

Usually, he comes for a visit in the dream world on the inner planes while writing me a letter.  Next morning, I’ll tell my wife about our visit on the inner planes.

“Ray must be writing a letter again,” I say.

And it usually comes a few days later.

Dreams are like that fishing line dropped from a boat into the sea.  But they are much more than a communication link, which the line suggests.  Our memory of dreams is a glimpse of the full spiritual life that each of us leads beyond the physical.  Our daily physical life has as little scope or variety as might exist in a rowboat.  A full spiritual life, on the other hand, includes all events around the boat (human self), including those within the sea, on the land, and in the sky of existence.

Dreams are a large part of each person’s hidden life, and it’s this sea of experience that we want to look at.

Your Source of Everyday Guidance

Dreams can tell us everything we need to know to get along in this life.  Yet how many people really believe that?  If people actually did, the study of dreams would be much more prominent in our society than it is today.

Most of my life I also paid little regard to dreams.

My early dreams were of two kinds: the bad and the good.  The first were nightmares, and the less they came, the better.  Even the good dreams had little to recommend them, since everything in them was topsy-turvy.  I usually blessed the deep and dreamless sleep, because in that unknowing state there was a kind of refuge which did not threaten my waking life.

In fact, my recollection of dreams started to flower shortly after I began my study of Eckankar in 1967.  My desire to Soul Travel had aroused my curiosity about the invisible worlds, and soon I bought a notebook to record any adventure that might occur there.

Dreams taught me to face myself, let me see the future, took me to the heavens of God, and even apprised me of impending illness and where to obtain the cure.

A Dream Guide Who Can Help You

Daydreams, night dreams, contemplation, Soul Travel—all are steps in the pursuit of heaven.  In Eckankar, the student is under the protection of a spiritual guide known as the Mahanta.  This is the Spiritual Traveler, the Dream Master.

As the Mahanta, he is the Inner Master.  The Inner Master is not a physical being.  It is someone you see in the inner planes during contemplation or in the dream state.  He may look like me, he may look like another ECK Master, or he may even look the same as Christ.  All it is, really, is the merging of the Light and Sound of God into a matrix, into a form which appears as a person.  This, then, becomes the inner guide which steers a person through the pitfalls of karma, the troubles we make for ourselves through ignorance of the spiritual laws.

The Master often works in the dream state because it is easier to get through.  Fears can inhibit and prevent one from exercising the freedom and power and wisdom which are the birthright of Soul.  In the dream state, the Inner Master can begin working with you to familiarize and make you comfortable with what comes on the other side.

The Living ECK Master is the other half of the title the Mahanta, the Living ECK Master.  This means the outer spiritual teacher, myself.

Thus, the spiritual leader of Eckankar can work both inwardly and outwardly with all who come to learn of God and life.

Excerpted from ECK Wisdom on Dreams.

25 Responses to Why Do We Dream?

1. Josh says:

I’m new to Eck and just started recording my dreams as I study from The Easy Way discourses. I’ve noticed that I’ve been having nightmares almost every night.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening to me or what the source or meaning of these nightmares are?

2. SAMSON EHIJINWA (NIGERIA) says:

To me, dream means a lot to me, before I became a member of ECKANKAR I used to have very fearful dreams, night mare, that were keeping me sleepless all nights. I was even referred to a Phycistist Doctor for treatment, now I know better . I dream my World of being both during sleep and day dreaming. Thank you MAHANTA for your Love. Samson

3. Douglas says:

Am happy, cause I learn a lot from this thread and comment ..thank you Mahanta, this night you are taking to a safe and love place . am happy to be on this part of light and sound of Mahanta .

Hi Sandra, dreams of flying are quite interesting, for to me they depict freedom. If you are a member of Eckankar, you are in luck as the Advanced Dream discourses give great insight into dreams. If you are not a member of Eckankar, you are also in luck. That’s what this blog is for. As a suggestion only, visit the Eckankar website: http://www.eckankar.org or locate an ECK Center near you from the website and visit, if you are ok with that. Take it step by step at your pace. The key is the dream teacher. Thanks for sharing.

5. sandra ann schack says:

My dreams began early in my life. I recall I had the same dream every night. I would be lflown through the skies of my neighborhood by some type of force that used to visit me often as a young child. I was an abused child so today I vbelieve that was my guardian angel helping me cope with my life. Since the age of around 8 or 9 this entity has not come back except once or twice at very dark times in my life. Today, I dream things and they end up coming true.. I am eager to learn more about whats going on with me.

6. Tammy Attama says:

I’ve been a vivid, rich dreamer for most of my life. When I was a child, before I could write, I would draw them. As I got older, I kept a dream journal by my bedside. (Now it is as simple as writing in the Notes section of your cellphone or recording it into voice on your phone.) Every couple of months, I would review them. As I reviewed them, I found that the love of Divine Spirit is such that it is always giving us insights, guidance, and love; It always knows what is going on and is ready to share that with us as long as we are open, and this takes place in our dreams as well as in our daily life. Our dreams are a gateway and can open us up in ways we couldn’t believe imaginable.

7. Holly says:

Thank you Mahanta for posting this explanation of why we dream and the gift worth studying. I am enjoying the dream discourses available with Eckankar study

8. Sylvie T. Meis says:

One night after singing HU.l heard a mans voice ask me a simple question. Where do you want to go? I choked back a sob,and said somewhere safe. I awake to find that I was laying next to a wheat field. I could feel the wormth of the sun on my face. I felt the texture of the wheat curnels between my fingers. Although I could not see them there where cats curled up at various points of my body. I could hear horses neighing in the near distance. In my minds eye I could see them. There was a rustling in the field. As it grew closer I felt anticipation with joy.A black lab puppy burst out with a wet nose and long floppy ears. As soon as he came he was off with all his bundle of energy. I looked up to the sky and saw a hunting hawk circling. Without words I knew she couldn’t come down. She didn’t won’t to disturb the cats. But now it was time to leave my companions of past incarnations.
    Like a gentle vacuum I came back refreshed. I was ready to take on a new day.Unlike REM dreams I remembered everything with crystal clear detail.

9. Raymond Doucet says:

Why do some adults have nightmares repeatedly ?

10. Dimče Stojanovski says:

One of the greatest blessings of the dream state is the opportunity to experience the love that the ECK Masters have for Soul in a very direct way. Bob Lawton once put it as " the feeling that lingers in the depths of a dream". I have found great sustenance and inspiration in dreams and am grateful for our little piece of heaven on earth, thanks to the MAHANTA, and the Vairagi ECK Masters.

11. Nanci. Rogers says:

I love keeping a Dream journal so that I can find inner guidance to my daily life. At times it might be one word or it could be a lengthy event. Learning the true meaning of my dreams and how it was given to me to help answer personal questions, problems, and dealing with life – this is a true gift!

Thanks for sharing Parisima. Indeed it can sometimes be challenging and heavy when knowledge of the future or premonition comes to be. But it need not be.

Dreams can also give us this knowledge such that we may recreate, accept or transform with it and our lives as well. We can also work off karmic patterns in the dream state, learn spiritual lessons and need not work it out in this world, if it is the will of the Holy Spirit or ECK.

The ECK Advanced study of dreams has been most useful to me in having a more fulfilling life. For one thing, I am encouraged to have a dream journal wherein I write my dreams and a dream dictionary that is unique to me. The dream dictionary was rather recent I must confess and I have seen that sometimes the symbols or interpretation changes as I unfold and become better at understanding the meaning. Once more, thanks for sharing.

13. Roland Reeb says:

The first time I became aware of myself in the other worlds I felt so happy and amazed at the realness of it all. I didn’t want to leave. I have become a hound of heaven. Thank you Z. With love in ECK.

14. Florentine Gnikpo says:

Thank you Mahanta for this beautiful message about “Dreams.” I have discovered Eckankar in 2006 and I really love it. Three weeks ago I took my dreams notes book from 2008 and read all my notes, and it amazing to see how all those notes becoming true in my everyday life since them. Our dreams are really our guide. Thank you again Mahanta.

15. Parisima says:

My believing in dreams that are really, started when I was about 20 years old, and I saw in my dream that my causin was in grooming dress, and was in his wedding night, I explained that dream to my Mom, she interpreted it horrible, she told that May be he will die, and it happened two days later, he was killed by some happening.

16. Bonny Audu says:

It was so refreshing reading this just after doing my spiritual exercise this morning. It feels so great. Thank you Mahanta for this beautiful feeling.

17. Chioma says:

i’m proud to be an ECKIST. its through Eckankar, i got to know the true importance of dream and also it is a source of our spiritual truth and guidance.

18. Cate Stevens says:

Dreams have been such a blessings in my life. They help guide me, show me pathway into greater awareness, balance my daily life, inspire me and give me personal proof of God’s presence in my life. They are also a great way the Inner Master (the Dream Master) teaches us and helps clear the way to a freer, more graceful life. And above all through dreams we learn more about the power of divine love and that to me is the miracle maker.

19. shakuntala says:

After I joined in Eckankar my dreams have become very vivid and I have had beautiful experiences Some I understood immediately .Some I came to understand after sometime while reading my Dream Journal again
    Eckists, or non-Eckists I recommend keeping a dream journal to everybody so that they can analyse their dreams and understand themselves
    Thank you Mahanta for opening a new dimension in my life.I love you

20. Annie B says:

I come from a family who talked about dreams at the breakfast table each day. Good training for a future Eckist. I am grateful and appreciate the love the Dream Master has shown me in my dream life giving me insight into problems, issues and more than once allowed me to ‘work out life threatening problems’ in my inner (dream) life rather than my outer life.

21. addy says:

Virtually everything i had ever wanted to know about the hidden side of life , i have learned so far and still learning from.the ECK teachings presented by Eckankar.This iincludes the true purpose of life, the importance of Love and the relationship between God and man and all life. Thank you for sharing so generously .

22. Kimberley miller says:

I have been keeping a dream journal for over a year now and it’s amazing to look back and realize how many “dreams” were actually future preparations of some kind. All useful and acknowledged my knowing the Mahanta is always by my side…..still am waiting for that walk on the beach though,…..hee-hee!
    My favorite dreams are the ones where I can fly and breathe underwater…..the flying dreams in the beginning I had to swim thru the air, weird I know, but now it’s just a matter of sheer will. I’m working on height and speed now, but I think I’m supposed to take it slow for now, Mahanta most likely knows I’m headed straight for Venus for a visit with Rami Nuri. Stay Happy Friends, it’s a better way to Live.
    Yours in light and Sound,
    Kimberley

23. Kangwa says:

Ever since i became an Eck Chela. Dreams have really helped me discover who i am and how i spiritually grow in my day to day life. Thank You my living Eck Master.

24. Edmond says:

I really appreciate this. It gives me more insight of what dream is all about. Thank you Master.

25. Brenda Solanki says:

Thank you for this wonderful explanation of dreams. I particularly liked this passage……”An understanding of dreams can steady us for the surprises of the day, and so aid us in learning to manage stress with more foresight and grace.”
    My dream last night was of the “topsy-turvy” kind, but upon writing it out in my dream journal, the message came through clearly, helping me to deal with an ongoing family dilemma.
    I am deeply grateful for the guidance of the ECK and the Dream Master. It has made a huge difference in my daily life.