A Balancing of Accounts

By Emmanuel, Nigeria

All my life, I constantly felt cheated and wondered why. The recurring experiences of people taking advantage of me were too many to count. I had almost resigned myself to the situation.

One day, after another loss, I vowed to find a solution to these problems by turning the situation over to the Mahanta, the Inner Master.

“Why is this happening?” I asked inwardly.

As a member of Eckankar, I’d learned that life is a series of births, deaths, and rebirths. I wondered if a karmic root from the past might offer an explanation. I decided to set aside some time and do a spiritual exercise to look at my past lives.

Before bed one night, I sang HU, the holy name for God. Singing HU allows me to hear more clearly the ECK, the Voice of God. I invited the Mahanta, also known as the Dream Master, to show me if a past life was the cause of my problems today.

Then I surrendered any expectations to the ECK, the Holy Spirit, and went to sleep. That night I had a very vivid dream.

In the dream, I was living several thousand years ago in an uncivilized society. We lived in huts made from large green leaves and fought our enemies with wooden clubs. It was a dreary life filled with hatred and misuse of power.

In that lifetime, I was a mean, giant of a man. With intimidating physical size and strength, I used my physical prowess selfishly.

Armed with an extra-large club to match my huge size, I lived a life of destruction and took by force whatever I wanted. The entire community lived in fear of me.

When I woke up, I was sad at what I learned. How could I have used up an entire lifetime causing so much harm to my community?

Yet at the same time, I was grateful to the Mahanta, the Inner Master, for this remarkable revelation. The enlightenment and wisdom of the holy ECK washed over me as I recognized the reason for my experiences in this lifetime.

After seeing this past life in my dream, my attitude changed. I used to become angry or complain about what I perceived as unjust treatment, but today I hold no bitterness or blame. My heart has opened to greater love.

Now I see that the ECK, Divine Spirit, is helping me balance my karmic accounts by repaying debts in order to gain a greater level of spiritual freedom.

12 Responses to A Balancing of Accounts

1. David Coldwell says:

When I get into the frame of mind thinking someone is taking advantage of me🙁, it helps to be detached about who benefits from my efforts🎁. To be able to do some good in this world helping the Living ECK Master by doing what I can and learning to be more giving is a blessing🎉. No matter how much we give in the service of ♥️, it cannot be emptied🥛. Life is an endless supply of spiritual wealth⛲️. Spend 💰as much of it as we can. 😇👍🏻

2. Anne Paris says:

This story has changed my views. I used to get emotionally hurt so easily and I always felt I was quite sensitive and emotionally weak. Now I can see this must have a past life root. Off to try an exercise for past life! Thanks so much for sharing your story and thank You Eckankar for blogging.

3. Valerie says:

Thank you for reminding me of the greater LOVE always available, every day, every second. I am being blessed, and the people I perceive as “cheating” me are being blessed. Thank you Emmanuel, Mahanta, Sugmad, ECK and all the wonderful ECK masters. Thank you.

4. Tracey says:

Wonderful timing, I have been reviewing my debts, past choices, (a lot lately, & specifically today) looking to take responsibility, and accountability so everyone wins~ Praying for the best possible outcome~ Blessings ~

5. Nina Anderson says:

It is always good to hear these reminders about why these types of things happen. I am learning to understand when unusual situations happen – such as people taking unfair advantage of me, to simply trust that everything is for the divine purpose of the Sugmad and all is well…at all times. Thank you.

6. Sammy says:

Thanks for sharing. I am inspired by your experience to delve further into noticeable ocurences in my life and the reasons why these occurrences have become a trend in my life. This has been very insightful. Thanks for Sharing the LOVE

If all ECK can give you is a new vista to life and a greater capacity to love, then you are most fortunate. I am grateful to be an ECKist in this lifetime and can relate to your story.

Thanks Emmanuel for sharing. Thanks Eckankar for blogging.

8. Paula Flint says:

Absolutely awesome story, dream and example of how the Mahanta works so intimately with us. Thank you Emmanuel. May The Blessings Be

9. Ibezim Ejikeme says:

This is one of the advantages we benefit being an Eckist, chela of the Mahanta the living ECK Master. I Like the experiences you shared.

10. Kim says:

What a great insight from a dream. Thank you for sharing.

11. shakuntala says:

Emmanuel,
    It is so nice to know that your attitude has been changed with the dream- you have been blessed by the Mahanta.

Also, you are being used by so many people means YOU ARE SO USEFUL TO PEOPLE.

12. kikpoye Christian Olokirika says:

woooow!!! thanks for sharing this wonderful experience with us …

love is the key …