A Midnight Miracle

By Helfried, Austria

My wife and I decided to go on a vacation to Portugal with my eldest daughter and her husband. As we reviewed the details of our trip, my wife realized our return flight to Munich was scheduled to land in the middle of the night. We lived two and a half hours from the airport, and my wife was concerned about the long drive home.

Instead of traveling such a long way in the dark, she suggested we stay in a hotel that night.

I thought her concerns were unfounded. I like to drive and didn’t mind traveling another few hours home. So we decided not to take the hotel room.

Several days later, I had a terrible dream.

I am standing near metal bars or railings. Next to me are the damaged remains of a car. Its left door hangs open. Nearby, a human body is lying on the road, cut in two.

I woke up feeling very uneasy. Although my wife was an ECKist at the time, I was not. If I had been, I might have interpreted the dream as a warning. But I didn’t.

Instead, I decided to put the dream out of my mind. I didn’t even share it with my wife; I was afraid she would insist we reconsider our decision concerning the trip home from our holiday.

We went on our vacation as planned. When we returned, we began our long drive home in the middle of the night.

At first, the highway was well lit. But as we left the airport area, the road became darker. Still, the headlights seemed to light the way well enough, and no one else was on the road. I relaxed. It would be a trouble-free trip after all.

Suddenly, I was startled awake. I had fallen asleep at the wheel, and now the car was heading straight toward a V-shaped guardrail at a fork in the road. It looked as if we were bearing down on the metal keel of a ship.

For a moment, I froze, not knowing which way to turn. I tried to read the badly lit signs, but both read Munich.

Now the car was almost at the guardrail. Its spear shape would easily tear the car in two.

I quickly steered to the right. As I did, the wheels on the left side of the car slid upward along the rail, forcing the car to tip. I braced myself, expecting the car to overturn onto its roof.

Then a miracle happened. I felt our car lift up from the ground. Both left wheels cleared the guardrail before we landed heavily back on the road. The car was upright, but the front axle broke, and sparks flew from beneath us as the car scraped along the highway. We finally came to a halt on the right shoulder.

“Get out!” I shouted to my family, fearing a possible explosion. Yet nothing happened. I stared at the wreck of our car, grateful there were no other drivers on the road.

A few minutes later, a Red Cross driver happened upon the scene, and we were soon taken safely away. After all the police reports and insurance calls, we finally arrived home at daybreak.

I thought about the dream I’d had two months before. Thankfully, the only thing cut in two was the front axle. I mused that it would have been much better to have spent the night in a hotel, as my wife suggested.

Later, as my wife and I talked about the accident, I discovered she had been quietly singing HU from the beginning of our car trip. HU is an ancient name for God and is a prayer of the highest sort.

As she sang, she imagined the Mahanta, the Inner Master, sitting right beside us the whole way.

Now I understood what had protected us during the accident. It was the song of HU and the strong helping hand of the Mahanta. Without them, I’m certain we would have suffered far more damage and perhaps even death.

Not long afterward, I became a member of Eckankar.

This experience showed me that the Mahanta’s love and protection are always with me, in every moment of my life. Thank you, Wah Z!

19 Responses to A Midnight Miracle

1. Frances says:

The Mahanta’s love is always there for us and our loved ones. T

2. Cat V says:

We are always protected by the Mahanta’s love. What a Blessing. Thank you for sharing your story.

3. Donna lee says:

Thank you for sharing your story . It is always a blessing to be reminded of the MAHANTA ' s love.

4. John Ebadan says:

miracles happen almost daily in the life of an ECK student, the Mahanta provide us with the tools and guidance to make the best of what ever life throws at us, we just have to learn to be aware.

5. Richard D Ugochukwu says:

This is the greatest Love from the Master. I trust in this Love too. Baraka Bashad.

6. Mercy olushola Sulu says:

The Power of HU is a reality to those who sing it always.

7. Funmi says:

What a beautiful story. The protection of the Mahanta is always with us. All we have to do is be aware and listen. Thanks for sharing.

8. Pamela says:

Thank you for sharing. The wonders of HU

9. Godwin says:

The story is about having faith in the Mahanta and protection of HU.

10. john carroll says:

The pure love of the mahanta is real, without it I would be lost.

11. Kokoette Bassey says:

A very good and remarkable story. Chelas of Mahanta use dreams and HU as doorways to spiritual freedom. Thanks so much for sharing.

12. Oshomha says:

What a beautiful story! The love and protection of the Mahanta is always with the Chela, and this extends to family members. All we need to do is remember to sing HU and be grateful.

The divine love of the Mahanta for the student of Eckankar is transcending even to our loved ones. Soul is loved by God and we (Souls) must recognise and accept this love. Old karma is replaced with new habits of love worth repeating. Thanks Wah Z for helping me know this.

14. Tracey says:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Several years ago my son, and I had flown in from the Eckankar Spring Seminar. So many Eckists on the plane, there was just tremendous energy, I was refreshed, and awake when we arrived in the early evening, to the Reno Airport. Gratefulness, & Hu were ever present. We went and had a bite to eat, went thru a car wash, after gasing up, onto the highway we went. Suddenly about 15 miles into our trip I had to pull off the road, a sleepiness came over me. I pulled into a popular mini mart/gas station. Seeing a police car off to the side I decided that would be a safe place to take a rest. My son was tired as well. Well within minutes of closing my eyes, the police car lights come on & off he goes, turns out a Delivery truck went across the hwy, hitting an on coming vechicle & their were 4 fatalities. The vechicle was going the same direction, as we would have been. Thank for The Mahanta, & My Heavenly Family of Divine Love~ <3

15. Carol Cameron says:

Thank you for sharing your experience. The power of dreams and the HU is so very real. Once on a long car trip through a very dark night, I used the same technique your wife did, as I traveled cross country, in an older car, alone. I also played the HU on my car CD player.
    Am ever grateful for these wonderful spiritual tools of love and protection.

16. Nina Anderson says:

This touched my heart. What a lovely story about learning to pay attention to dreams. Thanks for sharing. Blessings…

17. shakuntala says:

yes, Mahanta saved you. Such experiences rekindle our love for Mahanta .Thank you

18. Julien S says:

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing.