What Does God Want Me To Do?

By Cathy, California

My partner and I have lived together like a married couple for thirty years, but gay marriage was not legal yet. We belonged to a country club, where I played tennis regularly. Many of the members and tennis staff knew us and were very congenial and welcoming, but the main administration did not.

I unwittingly did something that brought our situation to light. Within a week we were sent a letter informing us that I was not welcome there as a member. All the tennis members that I knew were very upset and wrote letters to the administration in support of us, and even made arrangements to play once a week elsewhere so I could still play with them. I had a lot of loving relationships there and it was very beautiful, and really warmed my heart, but it made no difference to the club.

The club leases the land upon which it sits from the city and is supposed to abide by the city’s policy of no discrimination, but would not. Many people encouraged me to file a law suit. My life partner did not want to fight them.

I felt so unsure of what to do, and unclear about the spiritual meaning of what was happening. So I did a spiritual exercise. I met with Wah Z in a garden on the inner planes. I asked, “Mahanta, what should I do, fight this situation or walk away? What does God want me to do?” The answer was “God does not care what you do. You have total freedom to choose. What is important is that no matter which path you choose, that you not be attached to the result, and that you remember to act with love.”

I was astounded and thrilled with this answer. I could proceed without guilt on either path, which was like a weight being lifted from my shoulders. And I felt that it would be easy for me to trust in God about the result, and send these people behind the issue divine love. They were learning about divine love in this lifetime just like I am learning. I set about to sending them love every time I thought of it, and certainly whenever the topic came up. I decided not to think any more about fighting the issue because that would bring the most harmony in my home.

Within several months all was resolved. The club, perhaps fearing a lawsuit, brokered a deal with us to transfer the membership into my name, and bent some of their other rules which allowed both of us to use the club the way we always had, and waived the associated fees. Within a few months after that, someone else brought suit against the city for not forcing the club to follow its antidiscrimination policy, and the club was forced to change its policy for everyone, always.

The ECK does not care so much about what you do, but the way you do it, which is always to do things with divine love. I thought this was an amazing outcome, and I felt truly blessed to have had this wonderful inner guidance.

24 Responses to What Does God Want Me To Do?

1. Caleb says:

Good story
    Some people might have been shoked to hear that “God does not care what you do” And that is it. The Creator has given us all the tools we need to do or not to do here and now. Everyone has indeed total freedom of choice. Sow it with love and you reap it with love.
    Thanks Cathy

2. Bi Veronica Ngwa says:

Yes, we have the right of choice. The how we work with our choices is what matters.
    Thanks for this message and thanks for sharing your very educative experience.
    May The Blessings be.

3. Bryan Mattimore says:

Cathy,

Your story has helped me to think deeper about my personal mission. I’ve always felt that, contrary to what you wrote, God does indeed care about what I do. My personal mission to popularize the structure of creativity feels profoundly and critically important to me, every moment of every day. A recent inner experience lit up a direction for my work that was, paradoxically, both surprising but also very much aligned with and in harmony with God’s will.

But I now realize, thanks to what you wrote about your inner experience and direction, that the form of what I do and how it manifests specifically in this world, is not nearly as important as the spirit — or you might say, the love — behind what I do.

The trick for me then is to be less attached to the form/outcome of my work, and more attuned to the love that I aspire will inform it. The expression, “Let Go, Let God”… has now morphed within myself to, “Let Go with Love, Let God with Love.”

So, thank you for sharing your beautiful story, and inspiring me to discover a new perspective on my work, my mission… and my life.

Bryan

4. Kathleen Frankel says:

I just LOVE that, “God doesn’t care what you do. You have total freedom to choose.” That went straight to my heart and I thank you for sharing your experience!

5. Chris Chessari says:

Thanks for sharing your story, Cathy. I had a similar experience many years ago when I asked the Mahanta about a career choice. The answer came swiftly and clearly… “It doesn’t matter what you do….” The lessons over the years has certainly been about how to open the heart so much more than the specifics of what I do.

6. Romanus Emenike Chikwendu says:

Thanks Cathy for this wonderful story. God does not care for ever u do, he is after the love and the relationship you have with him, this is the total freedom of soul. And again LOVE is key to Inner WORLD.

7. Pauline Z Mawutor says:

Thanks for sharing this piece. Sometime ago I found myself in a very tight challenge and when I called on the Master, he told me that it is not every situation that needs fight, some challenges are best resolved by keeping quiet, removing my attention from that situation and allowing it die slowly; while others need love.
    Thank you Mahanta.

8. Nwoke Atulaegwu says:

Great story with deep spiritual insights.

9. Omowumi Olalekan says:

With love we can overcome all obstacles

10. Gary Lee says:

Thank you for sharing this story. It gives depth and understanding to a guiding message I received in a dream: What would Love do?

11. Paul Ako says:

Divine love, the way and the goal. Thank you Cathy

12. Obatayo H. says:

Thank for sharing this beautiful story. What a great reminder of the fact that Love must inspire everything that I choose to do in my daily life.

13. Ernest Edukere says:

Really indeed a very directive story about guidance.
    I am just reflecting on the numerous applications of this principle in my every day life.

14. kikpoye Christian Olokirika says:

love conquers all, the Mahanta have a way of handling situation with harmony .

thanks for sharing.

15. Forbes Farai Chikosi says:

I have learned a lot from story and am reviewing my way of doing things

16. Kim says:

Your closing comments were an like a lightbulb for me…not what we do but HOW we do it…from a spirit of divine love

17. James Isiwu Aguwa says:

That is a good application of divine love in solving life's challenges.

18. Daniel Alfred says:

Very informative, thanks for your sharing. I think this really gives me a sense of belonging. Thanks once more.

19. Donna lee says:

When we act with love it'll all work out.

20. Pascal says:

Beautiful experience. It explains a lot thank you for sharing.

21. Sara says:

Such a great lesson, beautiful experience. I love this Blog.

22. Caroline says:

Powerful message. Thanks for sharing your experience.. and May The Blessings Be

23. shakuntala says:

Yes Cathy, you are right- HOW we do matters to the Universe much more than What we do

Your experience brings home clearly Soul’s relationship with God. I like it unconditionally.