Touched by God’s Grace

By Dorathy, Nigeria

Six years ago, my husband became a member of Eckankar. At the time, I had mixed feelings about this. The ECK teachings were unfamiliar to me, and I wondered about the value of singing HU as a prayer of love to God.

But I also love and trust my husband. So I went with him to ECK events to understand more about this religion.

I discovered¬†that the ECK teachings were about God’s divine love for us as Soul. I learned that singing HU opens the doorway for a deeper connection with the Holy Spirit and draws us closer to God. I also learned about the constant presence and love of the Mahanta, the Living ECK Master, Sri Harold Klemp. In his inner form, the Mahanta is always with students of ECK to help them on their journey home to God.

But I was still not convinced the ECK teachings were for me. Without having any personal experiences of my own, I had difficulty accepting them as true.

Then something happened to change my point of view.

As part of my job, I am responsible for logging and filing mail as it arrives or is sent from my office.

One day, we received an important piece of mail, which I signed for and filed. Later on, I was asked to retrieve that document and bring it to my supervisor’s manager.

I looked in my files, but the document wasn’t there. Frantically, I searched everywhere, hoping to find it. But I couldn’t.

I went to my supervisor and told her I couldn’t find the letter. She became very angry with me and took me to her manager. They both demanded to know what happened to the document.

I explained that I had followed the same procedures as always, but for some reason the letter wasn’t where it was supposed to be.

The manager told me I had three days to find it or he would fire me.

I was in big trouble and didn’t know what to do. I didn’t even tell my husband.

I continued to search for the next two days, but the letter still didn’t turn up. I loved my job and didn’t want to lose it. Now I had only one day left to produce the document or be fired.

Then I remembered the song of HU. I had learned that HU is a sacred name for God and can bring help and comfort in times of trouble. So that night, I sang HU and surrendered this difficult situation to the Mahanta, the Inner Master, asking him to help me. As I sang, I fell asleep and had a dream.

In the dream, the Mahanta appeared, and together we went to my office. There he opened an old cupboard where we kept unclaimed mail.

Inside the cupboard was a bundle of files tied together and covered with dust. It looked like the files had not been touched for a long time.

He untied the bundle. I noticed that all the files were dirty brown, except for one that was blue. The Mahanta pulled out the blue file, opened it, and gave me the piece of mail inside.

As he handed the mail to me, I woke up. The experience seemed so real, as if it had actually happened. I could barely wait until daybreak so I could go to work and see if the dream guidance was true.

When I got to the office, I went straight to the cupboard the Inner Master had shown me in the dream. I opened it and found files tied together and covered in dust, just the way I saw it the night before.

All the files were brown in color except for a blue one stuck between the others. I pulled it out and opened it.

Inside was the letter I had been searching for!

Tears of joy streamed down my cheeks, and my heart overflowed with gratitude for this wonderful gift from the Inner Master.

When my boss arrived, I went to her office to give her the document. She was both surprised and delighted, and she asked where I found it.

I explained that it was in the cupboard. Then she asked how I knew where to look. I told her it was simply God’s grace.

By personally experiencing the gift of HU and the guidance of the Inner Master, I now knew the ECK teachings were for me. Through the Mahanta’s loving kindness, I had been touched by the grace of God. That day, I became a member of Eckankar, and I have never looked back.

10 Responses to Touched by God’s Grace

1. Andrea says:

This story is very close to my heart. A direct gift from Mahanta.
    Thanks for sharing.

2. Kelly says:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. The HU helps me to calm my “center”, and enables me to be more clearly be in the moment. I’m embarrassed to admit how many times I’ve used it to find my car keys!

3. Karen says:

That is really an incredible story. Thanks so much for sharing. Also enjoyed reading all the comments too.
    Baraka Bashad

4. Paul Morelli says:

Your story demonstrates one of the myriad ways the Mahanta’s love can manifest in our lives on a practical, human level as we open our hearts and minds to accept the gifts of spirit. We are never alone in our journey home to God. Thank you for sharing your revelations!
    In the Spirit of Love,
    Paul M.

5. Sammy says:

Thank you Dorothy….. for sharing. What an amazing experience. An ECKist friend and I were discussing spiritual matters today over the phone and the sum of what we talked about was that in ECKANKAR, one goes beyond belief to experiencing and knowing. I like it when folks make humor of the saying “if you don’t know, now you know.”
    Once again, thanks for sharing.
    Love in ECK

6. Colleen says:

Thank you for sharing your incredible story. The path of Eckankar has changed my life. I have finally found my spiritual path. The love from God is unending.

Beautiful story, indeed Eckankar is a path of personal spiritual experiences unique to each Soul. Sometime back I wondered why Eckankar gives its members so much freedom. For instance, the freedom to unfold at ones own pace or decide if it is the path at this moment or aim for the Golden Cup. Now, I say, why not freedom? And with this freedom comes responsibility, the responsibility of divine love, of self-discovery and of Mastership. And no matter the quest, the guiding light and loving care of the Mahanta is constantly with us taking us back home to God. It is God’s grace.

8. Amos Nnanna says:

The power of Love. God is Love and Love is God. You love your job and also your husband coupled with respect as well as trust. Then comes patience, trying to prove the reality of the ECK to yourself through personal experience. Doubt has its own place in the search for truth. In exercising your doubt with an open mind, absolute reliance, anchored on personal experience, replaces doubt as a state of realization and you grow in strength. Nature abhors vacuum. Life abhors vacuum, for the ECK sustains all. That is why the assertion of the Mahanta, The Living ECK Master as the ECK: “I am always with you” remains absolutely an eternal reality. Baraka Bashad.

9. Nwoke Atulaegwu says:

Interesting experience, I’m glad you shared it. I once had similar experience which helped me recover my lost key.
    Thanks Dorathy

10. Iyamu Raphael O says:

I will make haste to be a member, Mahanta has shown me series of love that I can not really explain.