Our Songs of Love

By Pier, Florida

I just wanted to share something.

For many years I took my children to the local nursing homes to entertain the residents. My kids played the piano and guitar. I was the MC.

When we entertained, the elderly people, even the ones who were really “out of it,” began to smile, clap, and show some kind of happiness on their faces. Even though the children were not the most amazing singers, musicians, etc., it did not matter to the people. They clapped and begged us to come back soon. My son Eddy would play the guitar and we would go room to room singing to the patients. We always declared ourselves as vehicles for the ECK.

One day the manager of one of the nursing homes came to me. “This entire nursing home is happy,” he exclaimed, “I’ve never seen this before, even our nurses and staff are smiling.” This was a beautiful confirmation as to how Holy Spirit works. We were giving love and laughter to all of the nursing home staff and residents.

Afterwards we would all go for pizza, as the children certainly deserved the rewards.

Some of my friends commented, “How can you stand looking at those poor people?” As difficult as that was, I would always prepare the children by saying, “We are all the same on the inside. These people are just older than us. They deserve our love and just focus on how happy you are making them.” This definitely helped.

We had a beautiful time!

16 Responses to Our Songs of Love

1. Sarah Apau says:

Do the best you can. Thanks you for sharing Pier. The smile in those souls faces is expression of God’s love

2. Becky Osiah says:

Thanks for being a Channel for the ECK!

3. Anna says:

Great story! Our family participates in the Holiday Project each year – the last few Christmas Eves, we’ve gone to a skilled care facility and sung Christmas carols. Our family group includes members of ECKANKAR and Christians of different denominations. I am the group coordinator so others from the nearby community join in as well. There is a Jewish mother and 2 children that like to participate each year even though the songs are not of their tradition. The residents are thrilled to see the little children. We aren’t musicians – just people singing with love and good cheer. It’s hard knowing that many of these people spend hours alone, but I do feel we add a bright spot to their Christmas Eve and many sing along with us, which is really fun and heart-warming. There are many ways to serve and the children are learning to give of themselves as well.

4. Pamela says:

Thanks a lot for sharing. Beautiful way of serving life.

5. Sarah Apau says:

Thanks for sharing the love you give without expecting reward makes you feel humbled. I can imagine seeing the residents smiling makes your heart open. The big smile in my face just reading your experience. Keep doing what will open your heart may the blessing be

6. Anna says:

Lovely, what a great gift you gave them! Thanks for sharing!

7. Micheline says:

Thank you Pier for such an inspiring story!

8. Mangakane Theresa says:

Thanks Pier for sharing such a wonderful story and the demonstration of unconditional love of your children. Your story put a beautiful smile on my face, thanks.

9. Huseina says:

Wonderful! If only we could all give such love!! No judgement, no condition. Only in the name of Eck.

Thanks for sharing.

10. kay willis says:

How beautiful Pier, as always. Love Kay from (formerly) Las Vegas.

11. Henry says:

There is so much joy in serving life. Lovely story.

12. Stéphane says:

Très jolie histoire. Merci !

13. Moses B. Nduekhe says:

Incredible.
    Thanks very much Pier for your wonderful story – Our Songs of Love.
    Soul exist because GOD Loves IT. Your story clearly demonstrates this. The Patients in the nursing home actually needed laughter.
    And they got it.
    A few hours ago, i had to put a call through to someone i have not spoken to in a while. He joked about a situation we are both experiencing and we had a good laugh.
    I told him i would love to come see him but said no, he would like to come see me instead.
    This is unbelievable.
    I never thought i would want to see him any time soon.
    That laughter we had was indeed a magic healer going by what transpired between us.
    Thanks very Wah Z for a wonderful opportunity to experience healing through laughter.

14. AZU OMAMA says:

Becoming a conscious vehicle for GOD requires that you become the very best you can possibly be, no matter what you choose to do. We exist because GOD loves us. Thank you for this blog.

15. Holly says:

This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

16. Carol Cameron says:

This is a beautiful tribute to the frail and helpless. When my mother spent time in a nursing home, I discovered a quiet, daily ongoing dynamic of giving and receiving there. A sign at the entrance to such establishments should read “Love is growing here, tread gently.”