What Is the Inner and Outer Master?

Inner and Outer MasterBy Harold Klemp

In ECK, there is the principle of the Inner and Outer Master.  The Outer Master is myself as the spiritual leader of Eckankar.  But there is also an inner part, which we call the Inner Master, who gives spiritual instruction to each person as he or she needs it.

In other words, each person is unique in how they look at life, because each person’s experiences have been totally unique.  Even twins are unique in that there is a different being operating through each physical body.

As the Inner Master I am able to reach and teach many people at once.  More importantly, I am able to talk to each person according to his spiritual needs.  This is a part of the spiritual teaching of Eckankar which might differ from what many people are used to in their previous religion.

Often the teaching begins in the dream state.  Once you become interested in Eckankar, you find that your dream state begins to change.   At first you don’t know whether it’s a change for the better or for the worse because you are not familiar with what is happening.

Your dreams are changing because, at some level, you have given your consent to work with the Inner Master, also called the Mahanta.  By studying ECK, being interested in ECK, and indeed even coming to the ECK seminar, you have said, “I would like to know a little bit about ECK.”

Excerpted from We Come as Eagles, Mahanta Transcripts, Book 9.

29 Responses to What Is the Inner and Outer Master?

1. Mark wolf says:

I am trying to be a channel for this Master. I am altering my normal conversations. Away from the impending environmental and social political TV theater / news. I try to pass on Little bits of stories I read on the blog and in our news letters. Compassion and just listening to some one voice their thoughts without interrupting them or finishing their sentences while they are still speaking. Consciously trying to visualize myself as the Master, “What would the Master do now?” As I drive, I bless the other drivers in the name of the Sugmad one by one and sing a HU for them especially the ones that seem reckless, “May the Blessings Be”. The Love the Master shows me, I try to pass on to others and in the same manner the Master works. I am trying to be less sarcastic and less snide, old habits are hard to break. Calm, patient, forgiving. I’m trying to realize myself as a positive force in the world working with the Master to be available to him as needed. Just maybe I can be the 100th monkey (you’ll have to look it up). This is probably more for me than all of you out there. This is my mission. This is from my heart.

2. David Baillie says:

Thank you. Having an Inner Master who can speak in a unique way, specific to my needs, is a miracle that helps so much.

3. Daniel W. Udomisor says:

Dear Mahanta
    I’m humbled and grateful.
    Your thoughtfulness is a gift I will always treasure.
    My heart just keeps thanking you and thanking you.
    You’re a blessing to me.

4. Tom says:

To suppose that someone other than myself is the “Outer Master”, such as is stated in the blog, is hard for me to accept. I will allow that there are “teachers” who can guide but they cannot lead. Whatever they teach must be turned over in one’s mind and that what seems particular to the individual, that individual must make the decision to apply to their lives. They individually make the choice because each is his or her own “Outer Master”.

@Konrad, beautiful comment. Profound Thanks for translating the German to English.

@Sunday Owen, how does one learn Soul Travel? I would like to directly say that you need a teacher who knows. If it is Ok with you, try singing HU, a love song to God that can open your heart to Its Glory (http://www.eckankar.org/hu.html). The best teacher I have come to know is the Mahanta, the Living ECK Master and he is ever ready to guide (here and beyond) the ready Soul back home to God.
    And should you need more infomation, you could check out one of the nearest ECK Centers. http://www.eckankarnigeria.org/centres.htm. It is open to all.
    But if you are not in Nigeria, please visit http://www.eckankar.org/ekcenters.html.

6. Mark Richardson says:

Growing up in the west the idea of a living teacher was foreign to me. It took me a number of years, and more importantly many direct experiences, to trust in a spiritual guide. I had to prove it for myself, but it took me time. I did however hear inner sounds ever since I was a boy, and I know now that this is the holy spirit. What I didn’t know was that this sound was also the inner master (also called the Mahanta.) So the Inner master is a form of the Light and Sound of God, which can appear as the inner guide, or as the outer guide – the Living ECK Master. Why have an inner and outer Master? It is a form that Spirit can take to make God relatable to our human self.

7. Sara says:

Thank you Mahanta for your guidnece as an Inner And Outer Master.

Thank you Mahanta for directing me to the best choices through hard times.

I am confident that you will be with me this time too.

8. Konrad Gottbrath says:

Dem äußeren, dem lebenden ECK- Meister liebe ich und danke ihm für sein gutes, aufopferndes und liebevolles arbeiten und dasein.
    Dem inneren für seine grenzenlose Liebe und Fürsorge.
    Dadurch das er bei mir ist, mich unterrichtet und sich mir zeigt bekomme ich Gewißheit und kann den Weg weiter gehen.
    Vielen Dank für alles!!

The external living ECK Master I love and thank him for his good, self-sacrificing and affectionate work and being.

The Internal for his limitless love and care. Thereby he is with me, informs me and shows me itself to me I get certainty and can go on the way.

Many thanks for everything!!

9. Anna says:

I feel so grateful to be on this path and to have an inner and outer master 🙂 And who works with us in the dream state! Very powerful!

10. ENEH CHIBUZOR OGECHUKWU says:

I am grateful and excited for your loving care and eternal presence in my Life.
    May the blessings be.

11. Augustin Kabanda says:

It’s sometime deep to explain with words what I read from the MAHANTA. I’m feeling the inner peace, Happiness, Understanding and other Virtues. What I read it penetrates right through my heart and transforming my attitude.
    The Being state. May The Blessings Be.

12. rosemaary Ikenna says:

Thank You Wah Z, for your presence, love, guidance and protection in my life. You are indeed my inner and outer master.

13. Shima says:

The Inner master helped me to resolve some past Karma in my dreams. I had a series of dream for almost four years in which Mahanta helped me to see how my emotional attachment could ruin not only my life but also could put everyone’s life in my family in a miserable situation. In the dream I also realized that Mahanta had been there for me long before I joined ECKNAKAR.

14. Sunday Owen Udoukpong says:

How do I soul travel?

15. Victoire says:

Thank you Mahanta for all the Love you’re giving me all the time.

16. Stella Udu says:

I really appreciate the fact that I met the Inner Master even before I understood who he really was. And the experience was incredible, to this day, I remember the love emanating from him. And as a member of Eckankar now, I feel blessed by the understanding I have of life through the teachings of ECK and being able to learn from the Living ECK Master, The Mahanta, Sri Harold Klemp and the other ECK Masters.

17. Oliver Nwosu says:

Thank You Mahanta for this opportunity in this life time to recognise a living and Inner Master. When ever I am in doubt of anything or want to prove any thing important I throw it to the Inner Master and I always get answers.

My car was disturbing me and I have gone to several mechanics to fix it but they were guessing and I was to take a decision and I said if I am to go to a particular person two persons should call on my mobile phone otherwise I should go to the other and I didn’t get calls and I went to the other, the car was diagnosed right.

That is one of the ways inner Master works.

18. Edem Kisse says:

The Inner Master is A WAY SHOWER. HE is there for us at all time and waiting for us to ask. And everyone will receive the answer / response in appropriate time and when he or she is ready.

Thank you The Mahanta for being there for us.

Love and May the blessings be.

19. Zacchaeus Akighir says:

Working with the Inner Master requires us to pay close attention to our nudging s. If not, it is very easy to overlook a guidance to carry out a certain act, function, or a duty, that the Inner Master may guide us to do. Usually, one may realise later that one has missed out on a guidance, and chosen the wrong act, or function, or duty, as the case may be. This realisation usually comes when we get the unexpected outcome to what we must have wished for, or what we might have requested the Inner Master to help us with. But one thing for sure is that it is very reassuring to work with the Inner Master. It is quite exhilarating, particularly when one follows his nudges and get positive results.
    Thank you Z for being there for us always.

20. James Potter says:

When I first read about the concept of an Inner Master, I wondered, “Really? Is there such a presence as an Inner Master?” I was curious so I started doing the spiritual exercises. One night I awoke on a beach crowded with people who were sun bathing, swimming, and enjoying the day. I realized I was traveling so I took up Paul Twitchell´s suggestion and called out “Mahanta!” The Inner Master appeared! I KNEW then the Inner Master is a reality beyond any mental conception. Thus I made the leap from doubt and scepticism to KNOWING. Since then my relationship with the Mahanta has only gotten better. The key to exploring your secret worlds are doing the spiritual exercises of ECK daily, and with as much love as you can muster!

21. Michael Chandler says:

The blessings are abundant for me and continue on beyond my imagination! I am so grateful to study the works the teachings of Eckankar. The Mahanta speaks to each in a language and pacing one can handle. Trust in the guidance of the Mahanta has given me insight to face my fears, to not be hearded by the social consciousness to thinking what is the right thing to say rather to follow my heart to surrender to the Mahanta in every situation at all times….the Spiritual Exercises give me courage to have more insight to allow me to hear the golden tongue wisdom the presences of the Mahanta in another in a Satsang Class, in a Discussion Group in an introductory Lecture…to greet someone in a store or mall…to be patient and listen because the Mahanta is speaking at all times….in all places.
    It may be silence and no one to speak to me outwardly but the presence of the Mahanta is there! “Show Me Thy Ways….”

@Dixon, the following links would help address your request;

Thank you.

23. Dixon Ogbonnaya says:

I love this piece too, but am not a member. How do I become one?

• Mark wolf says:

To become a member, go to the main Eckankar.org website and request more information. There are discourses you will sign up for that are a beautiful seventeen year spiritual adventure that you can study in the privacy of your own home. Or even easier just call 1-800-Love God and tell them you want to be a member. 😇

24. Bi Veronica Ngwa says:

As an inner master The Mahanta is able to talk to each of us according to our spiritual needs. This point is very important to me because it is in the inner world that I had my conviction or the strong belief through a personal experience that ECKANKAR was where I would learn the truth about God.

Thanks Wah Z for your love and the gift of these inner teachings.

25. Moses B. Nduekhe says:

Thanks Z. Thanks for this piece.
    The dual personality of the Master is unique in the ECK works. Isn’t that Truly wonderful?
    We have an Outer as well as Inner Master. There are two sides of the same Person. One with physical limitations and other without.
    Incredible.
    Its up to you to accept you met The Inner Master in dream or not.
    Whenever you do, you feel entirely different.
    The Inner Master told me what to expect barely two weeks ago. That came to pass.
    We are indeed blessed to have one – The Inner Master.
    Thanks very much Wah Z for your Love and Care.

26. Holly says:

Gratitude is my theme song…
    Not a day goes by that I am not aware of the many gifts of the Mahanta’s presence. Thank You Z, Harold Klemp’s Inner name, for all the love gifts along this path of learning, giving, and receiving love. For me, singing HU, pronounced, hue, is one of those awesome little gifts. Our species name Human, being part spirit, part matter, gave me a clue into my identity years ago. Now, through the teachings of Eckankar, I have learned more about HU’s origin and meaning. This simple little love song to God has brought balance to a troubled mind, peace, joy, and spiritual freedom through responsibility. I have learned that spiritual insights do not just happen. I have to give permission to spirit before the gifts of consciousness are given. Through the discipline of singing HU each day I have seen my heart open to be a receptor or magnet to the gifts of conscious learning spirit has always wanted to share with me. I am forever grateful for the Mahanta’s Inner and Outer guidance.

27. Sena says:

Le Mahanta est un ami. Il enseigne à l’individu comment se prendre en charge pour devenir libre.

Seeing you inwardly and at Minneapolis is indeed a blessing. It is like a blue rain drop on a cool calm sunny day. Rare yet glorious. It bedazzles my mind with its curiosity, stunning it with grace, compassion and awe. I respect the Mahanta, the Living ECK Master especially as I do not have to worship him. And yet Wah Z, you have my consent to work with me in the Inner or Outer. And though some days my legs quail, my heart knows, my ear hear and my eye(s) see your ever constant presence guiding me through my experiences of the Light and Sound. Thank you for travelling with me on the road to Spiritual Freedom.