My Rwandese Family

john-v_soul-dropBy Abala, Oregon

When I was twelve years old, my family and I had to leave our home in Congo. It was not safe for us to stay there because there was violence and conflict. We escaped across the border into Zambia and were placed in a United Nations refugee camp. I completed sixth grade through high school in the camp.

I had high grades in high school and was trying to get a scholarship because I very much wanted to go to college. It is difficult and expensive to go to college in Africa. There is no financial aid, so to go to college you either need to have money or get a scholarship. It is especially difficult for refugees because they don’t have any money.

I had an interview with UNHCR, the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, in Lusaka, the capital city of Zambia. The purpose of this interview was to see if I qualified for a UNHCR scholarship to go to college. Many refugees applied for the few UNHCR scholarships available.

I was able to get a ride to Lusaka for the interview. It was about 450 miles from the refugee camp where I lived with my family. I had my interview with a panel of seven UNHCR representatives. I thought they would tell me if I was accepted right then, but I had to wait to learn the result. I was much more likely to be accepted if I was already in Lusaka. Also, I had no money to go back to the refugee camp.

I had no place to stay and only knew one person in Lusaka. He was a friend who was a college student. He let me stay with him that night, but it was too dangerous for him to let me stay another night because it was against school policy, and he would be expelled if he was caught.

I knew there was an ECKANKAR center in Lusaka. I thought if I went there, maybe I could find a place to stay with one of the ECKists. My friend told me how to get there. I walked because I had no money to get there by bus. It was about seven miles. When I got there, no one was there.

I was very hungry, very tired, and had nowhere to go. I was feeling hopeless and afraid, so I asked the Mahanta for guidance and help, and I sang HU. I felt my heart open and felt things would be OK. The Mahanta gave me the idea to call the UNHCR agency to see if they could help me.

I didn’t have money for a phone call, so I walked back to where my friend was and borrowed his phone to call the agency. They couldn’t help me, but they gave me the number of a person to call who might be able to help. I called the number and explained the situation. The person told me that he didn’t have much, but he would share with me what he could. He asked me to meet him at a certain place where he could pick me up.

When he picked me up, I recognized him, and he recognized me. He was one of the seven UNHCR representatives on the panel for my interview the day before. I knew no one in Lusaka, and yet the Mahanta sent someone I had met the day before. But I could tell from the way he spoke that he was Rwandese. I was Congolese. There had been long-standing conflict between Rwanda and Congo, and there was a lot of mistrust and hatred between the two nationalities. Violence and even killing between Congolese and Rwandans was still very common. From the time I was a little boy, I learned that these people were very dangerous.

Even though at first I was afraid, I had asked the Mahanta for guidance and help, and this man showed up. I accepted that he had been sent by the Mahanta to help me, and my fear left.

He took me to his home and gave me food and a place to stay. He was very openhearted and kind. He and his wife accepted me as part of their family. I did get accepted into college and got a UNHCR scholarship, but it was too late to start that term. I had to wait till the next term. I stayed with the Rwandese family for three months until I went to college, where I lived on campus in dorms.

While I lived with this family, they even spoke Swahili for me rather than their native language, so I could understand them. I ate Rwandese food, which was very different from Congolese food. I lived like a Rwandan and felt very comfortable being there. We became like a family, and we shared everything that a family would share.

Even after I started living in dorms in college, my Rwandese friend still looked out for me. When I graduated from college, he was the only one who came because my family was too far away. He was like an uncle to me.

My friends and family were suspicious of him. They couldn’t believe that a Rwandan could be that good of a friend and person, or would let me live with him for that long. They thought he might kill me.

But I knew I was safe. He told me that he had been a Rwandese refugee trying to make his way through Congo to find a safe place to live, at about the same time that my family had to leave our home in Congo for the refugee camp in Zambia. There was killing of Rwandans in Congo, and a Congolese saved his life. He told me the Congolese man who saved him was very good-hearted. So now he was helping me.

When I first met the Rwandese man, my mind told me to be suspicious and afraid, but my inner guidance told me something different. You can be guided in a way that your mind may think is wrong, but it’s really the Mahanta helping you into a far better situation. I had to surrender and give myself fully to the Mahanta so I could see the guidance. Otherwise I would have missed this beautiful experience.

Not only did the Mahanta send me someone to stay with who gave me food, shelter, love, protection, and a way to go to college, but he also gave me a very valuable lesson. He showed me that Rwandans are Soul too. As Soul, I saw no difference between us. I came to understand that we humans are “just one.” Politics divide us. Politics keep changing, but what doesn’t change is that each of us is Soul.

Not only did I get this lesson, but the experience expanded the thinking of both our families and friends, just like it had expanded mine. His family’s Rwandese friends became my friends, and my Congolese friends became his family’s friends.

I am so grateful to the Mahanta for his love and guidance that allowed me to have this wonderful experience with my Rwandese family. When I asked the Mahanta for help my second day in Lusaka, all I wanted was a place to stay that night and some food, but he gave me so much more. And it was not just about me. Through this experience, the Mahanta touched the hearts of many other people.

A Contemplation Seed

Have you ever sung HU, felt your heart open, and received inner guidance from the Mahanta?

26 Responses to My Rwandese Family

1. MANJULA says:

Really your story gives hope and feel we are all souls

2. treasure nobert says:

hi abala thanks for sharing, ur story has giving me a new hope bcos since I was reading testimonies other sounds as if Mahanta only help in transmission I became afraid but yours is different, thank u once again for sharing.

3. Uzoma Chinaka says:

Contemplation is a great resource for us, especially in times of dire need. Doing the S.E.Es helps to strengthen our connection to the Mahanta so we can hear when he speaks. I love the courage displayed here in choosing to listen to your nudge. The Ways of Eck are truly wonderful!!

4. Rich Ugo says:

This story has spiritualized evening. It’s touching. Thank MAHANTA .

5. Prince Ben Muteba says:

Thank you very much Kim Abala, when you totally surrender yourself to Mahanta and be filled with Love the fear goes away. You begin to see Mahanta working out everything to your advantage.

May The Blessings be!

6. Awoibi Kristhien says:

The wonderful ways of the ECK & the Mahanta.

No man can decided the ways of the ECK.

May the Blessings Be.

7. Kemi Ramsey says:

What a beautiful story and example of the deepest trust and love for the Mahanta. This blog is such a precious gift. Every day I check it and it always opens my heart and lifts my spirits. Thank you Mahanta! Thank you everyone who comments as your words are a gift from the ECK as well. I laugh, I cry, I feel the connections we all have as Soul, sharing our experiences, learning who we are. Thank you Abala for writing this. Thank you Nnenna for- “When we need help and genuinely ask the Master to assist he does once we are not dictating how we want it done.” I certainly needed to see that again this evening!
    May the Blessings Be

8. marni beardsley says:

there needs to be more abala’s in this world. you amaze me. thank you for sharing your story, i look forward to more conversations.

xo

9. Chioma says:

Always sing HU, Surrender and have a positive attitude. All is well. May the Blessings Be. Thanks Abala.

10. Kokoette Bassey says:

Dear Abala,
    Your thought provoking experience. Is very unique to Eckists and non-Eckists in Africa and the world at large who pay greater attention to hate, power, and ethnic divide. Thank God, the Mahanta our Inner Guide is always there to help us (Chelas) in times of desperation.

May the Blessings Be!!!

11. Nnenna says:

I just had a nudge to check the blog but I was wondering “what is it.” Yesterday night, I was going over a spiritual problem I having for quite sometime now, and I put a challenge to the Master. I was not expecting an immediate answer but when I reluctantly opened the blog and saw one of the topics, I couldn’t believe my eyes. The Mahanta is talking to me direct, that is a plus for me. The story teller is a spiritual student is alert to pick the slightest information from the Eck, where he expected the help to come from, he didn’t get it from there. The Eck kept quoting until he met the Rwandese family. It is divine love in action. These two people who were arch enemies from there countries now became inseparable families. When we need help and genuinely ask the Master to assist he does once we are not dictating how we want it done. Thank you for using Abala to further teach us to open up to spirit no matter the situation.

12. Aline Musime says:

My name is Aline and I am Rwandese. Having been a refugee in Congo for a while, I have been on the other side of as a victim of prejudice against Rwandese while I was there. Nevertheless, we were too welcomed by an accepting Congolese family who made our stay there much easier. Years later I became an Eckist and knowing we are Souls has helped me go beyond all prejudice and be more accepting and loving towards others. Thank you Abala for sharing your story.

May the blessings be!

13. Ronda says:

We are so blessed to have the Mahanta!
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience!

14. Rita Teo says:

Dear Abala, your trust in the ECK and the Mahanta are truly inspirational! HU is indeed the answer to everything!

15. Caleb says:

Thanks Abala. Where there is fear there can never be love and where there is love there can never be fear. When we do our part and ask the Mahanta for his guidance, he is always here to guide. Next is to listen and follow.

16. ROsa Maria Nunez Urquiza says:

Gracias Abala. Tu historia me llego en el momento en que yo necesitaba escucharla.

17. Murali Pillai says:

A good story on trust and acceptance. Thank you for sharing. May the blessings be.

It is raining heavily this morning and I am glad to arrive at my place of work early. And I thought, what can I use the spare time to do? I almost brushed aside the nudge to come check the Eckankar blog.
    Such a wonderful and healing experience you have shared.
    I am grateful.

Thanks Z.

19. Paige Boutin Lester says:

Dear Abala, Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience which brought tears to my eyes. I have to struggle with keeping my heart open and choosing love over power. It is so easy to keep the heart closed and not take chances. The Mahanta knows I am more willing to let go of fear and he sends the golden tongued wisdom in stories. Because I am working on this and I can sense that it is now more possible than ever, I get many beautiful examples from ECKists of their heart opening experiences, as happened at our recent Service of Light and Sound, that were difficult and required great leaps into the unknown. But they did it with the love and protection of the Mahanata, like you did and the results were magnificent inroads into love.
    Thank you so much for sharing, Abala. You are truly a bold and courageous Soul! We have such a friend in the Mahanta! with love, Paige

20. Patrick Tshamu says:

Thank you dear friend Abala. It is true the Mahanta is always there. We are Soul and it is our responsability to recognize the Mahanta’s presence and invite him as you did. I am also a Soul from Congo.

21. Pactole Mumbere Muzee Wa Vene says:

Nous sommes ravis de cette expérience . Baraka bashad

22. Anna says:

all are soul! Wish more people in the world could see this to help us connect and grow closer instead of divide us!

23. Hope Yang says:

Such a beautiful and touching story. So much love and courage. Thank you Abala for sharing this love story. Huuuuu💝

24. Beulah Ephraim says:

God’s Love is indeed Wonderful. Love is the binding tie between all souls in form. It bypasses the obstacles and the dichotomies set up by the mind. The MAHANTA is a living proof that we are manifestations of God’s Love.

Thank You For sharing this Love Story.

25. doublegee says:

This story, in this time of divisions, was very healing. Thank you, Abala.

26. Bi Veronica Ngwa says:

Dear Abala, thank you very much for your very touching and inspirational story.

Your experience is a great lesson and prove of how divine love, guidance and protection is always available for those who would remember to make an effort to knock on The Mahanta’s door. HU IS THE ANSWER.

Thank you Wah Z for always being there for us.

May The Blessings be.