We Keep Growing—Even in Retirement

woman-playing-pianoBy Harold Klemp

An ECKist from England wrote me. He was telling me about how years ago when he was a young man, he was planning for his retirement. In those days, he said he still believed in retirement. You’re young, and what do you do? You work your whole life so that someday you can retire. And do what? Wait? Just stop living? As the young man grew up, he found a fallacy in the idea of retirement. Even though you retire from your job, you cannot retire from living.

A lot of people make that mistake when they retire from a job. In a way, they almost retire from living. This is when all their problems start to increase. Because they stop learning how to take care of themselves.

As we get older, our bodies don’t respond the same way they used to. That means the foods and the nutrition that we were used to just aren’t adequate anymore. Survival is a day-by-day lesson. It means you’ve got to keep learning, retired or not. Sometimes when people retire, they forget to keep growing in the areas of survival. They forget to ask, “How do I eat better?” or “What better nutrition do I need now? What isn’t in the soil today that used to be there in 1940 when good food came straight from the land?” Things have changed. You’ve got to keep growing, because that’s part of the spiritual law of survival.

Excerpted from Our Spiritual Wake-Up Calls, Mahanta Transcripts, Book 15.

17 Responses to We Keep Growing—Even in Retirement

1. Gershon Teku says:

Lovely

2. Jackie Allen says:

Thank you for putting words to what I have been thinking as I approach my 65th birthday! Here’s to not retiring from living!

3. Rachel says:

I am so blessed to be retired and to be a student of the ECK!! I thank God every day for the gifts of spirit which come into my life as an ECKist. This year I will be able to make that wonderful trip to the ECK seminar, the World Wide. I am very excited and grateful to come to the temple of ECK and to see the master in person. Thank you thank you thank you for the life of ECK!!

4. Carolyn Wienand says:

Thank you dear Mahanta, for your double message to those of us who are in retirement age. Yes, life is an adventure and we are survivors! Life here or in God’s other worlds are for learning and serving. I’m pretty sure we don’t get a permanent vacation in God’s heavens.

I loved the message of the 88 yr old man rebuilding his home after fire destroyed it. Truly inspiring!

Your 2nd message about nutrition is also very important for everyone.

7 weeks ago, a 16yr old driver hit my car and hurt my knee. Chiropractic adjustments and cold lazer and a change in nutrition (less wheat & no sweets) are helping to heal knee. Veggies, fruit & protein!

I just turned 68! I’ve worked at farms and owned retail businesses. I’ve also been a dancer for 63 yrs. I will be back in class next week. Nutrition, exercise & work are important to being vital while aging.

Next weekend, our Vahana team, will share Eckankar information at a Spiritual Expo. I will be there!

Thank you, Wah Z, for your protection, during the car accident. Thanks for all the guidance. “Love You”

5. Rich Ugo says:

With this story I can now prepare better for my retirement. This is pure gold for those who know the value. Baraka Bashad.

6. Garnett Zamboni says:

Thank you Mahanta for guiding me to read this article tonight. I needed this.
    When I retired from my professional position, I immediately went out and got not one but two part time jobs. It didn’t take long for me to realize that this was a gift to be cherished not dreaded. I found my way to volunteering for my community and haven’t looked back. My spiritual life has grown exponentially through service to others while learning new ways to increase vitality and friendships. At 71 years of age I have just begun a new yoga class that stretches me from my toes to my spiritual third eye. What we do on the outside also helps us grow spiritually. May the blessings of ECK love be yours.

7. Linda Cooney says:

I have been retired 5 years. Only now am I appreciating slowing up enough to breathe and to accept and to love every step of the way. I seem to want space to wind my way to the heart of every matter. Thank you to the ECK for providing me with the life I have in which to feel the love of God through the threads of life’s blessings.

8. Nnenna says:

Survival is a natural instinct no matter the age level, except maybe in an abnormal situation and a whole lot of things can contribute to that. If Soul stops learning, it stops growing, and if Soul does not grow, something terrible follows. As you are living, no matter the condition you find yourself, try and keep learning and keep serving in any capacity no matter how little, that is what keeps Soul growing instead of regarding in all the worlds, both spiritual and physical. Thank you Mahanta for this wonderful advice.

9. Mangakane Theresa says:

Many thanks Wah Z!!!

10. Lisa Gerstner Boston says:

My 88 year old father, who is a carpenter, just finished rebuilding his home of 60 nearly years, after it burned to the ground in a massive prairie fire. He had just retired at age 87, then this happened. He rebuilt his home stick by stick, brick by brick, working almost ever day for over a year. He put love in every detail. Younger men helped him with the heaviest work.

My parents had lost almost everything. The fire, in 50 mile an hour winds, came so fast they drove through fire, getting out with just the shirts on their backs. The house and barn burned to the ground. Miracously, only the detached garage remained which was made of wood. It doubled as a workshop and had all my father’s carpentry tools in it. My dad took this as a divine sign that he was to rebuild his house.

It reminds me of the story of Milerepa’s house. The spiritual student was instructed by his Master to keep rebuilding his house until only love remained. It took seven times.

My dad has always been a positive guy, yet this process polished Soul even more. There is more love and patience in him than ever. And he has inspired many others in the process.

11. Lovedales Kumah, Ghana says:

Thank you Wah Z. As my daughter will say ” You are the BEST”

12. Stacie Schultz says:

I’ve never imagined retirement, from a job maybe, but that’s it. As I have seen it, life is about change. That is the only permanent quality to life- Change. The key is staying open to where the ECK leads us in our next venue for service. This, I feel, is what life is all about anyway. My motto is “onward ho”, looking forward to the next adventure in service. And yes, love is a key ingredient to keep in ones’ heart as the changes move us forward.
    Thank you Sri Harold for this message. Life is filled with so much opportunity for growth, along with the fun that occurs along the way. A loving heart is the golden key.

13. Bi Veronica Ngwa says:

Rightly said! Retiring from job not from life. Life is like a river that keeps flowing. It only adjusts in volume or velocity depending on the seasons, but it keeps flowing. There is never a time it says when it would finally reach the ocean, it will stop flowing. Even if we were to retire from life here, where is it in the universes of God that life stops to exist? Soul lives for ever, so there is no retirement from life. We only have to accept change, adopt and adapt to it, for change is inevitable. Then we continue living with love.
    Thanks Wah Z for this wake-up call.

14. Angela Starr says:

I retired a few years ago. For me, loving and gracefully accepting love is my way of staying connected to the Light and Sound(spirit) of God (Sugmad). I have elderly parents I care for. 4 children to keep up with, and now 2 grandchildren on the way.! When I was younger, life moved so quickly that I didn’t have time to enjoy the silent beautiful unspoken communication with my family. Now as the worlwind eases, I carry on conversations with the Mahanta . . . And take the time to slow down and listen for a change! It’s a lot of fun 😉

15. Moses Nduekhe says:

Thanks very much Wah Z.
    I was actually wondering, where is this coming from. Looking further down, i saw that its taken from the book – Our Spiritual wake-up calls, Mahanta Transcripts, Book 15.
    Its indeed a wake-up call for us all. Retiring from active service its not tantamount to retiring from life.
    Its obviously a golden opportunity to learn new things in life regarding survival. Life goes on anyway.
    Life doesn’t stand still cos we have retired from work. Breathing is work itself. We age gracefully still working and growing.
    Thanks very much Wah Z for this reminder.

Moses Nduekhe

I have seen in my short life here that those who often retire from jobs and from living often exit from life early. Though a general statement, it is just my observation. Life is for living. And you really need to be there to experience it. By there, I mean, in life, beyond retirement age and in service of love.
    Thanks Sri Harold for the growing tips.

17. Ojie Alexander says:

Thank you Mahanta for this wonderful lesson. May the blessings be!