Love beyond Dementia—Finding Your Spiritual Mission

This interview with John and Marcia Kulick took place at the ECK Worldwide Seminar in October 2016. John shares his personal experiences of dealing with dementia. Marcia, who gave loving support while facing her own severe health challenges, chimes in with insightful observations. Interviewed by ECKANKAR’s vice president, Doug Kunin, these two longtime ECK members reveal how they continued to make a difference through life’s many changing seasons.

John and Marcia passed on in March 2017 within three days of each other.

16 Responses to Love beyond Dementia—Finding Your Spiritual Mission

1. Karen says:

Thank you for sharing this video of Marcia and John’s talk. Very touching and inspiring.
    Such a lovely couple and passing within three days of each other. Remarkable!
    Also enjoyed reading all the comments/experiences of everyone.
    May the Blessings be.

2. Helen says:

This is so near and dear to my heart. My Mother had dementia and in spite of this disease she remained a sweet and loving soul. I was fortunate to be of service to her during her 3 years of living with dementia. I was so thankful to spend these last days with her laughing, talking about out times, some she could not remember. She lived in an assisted living facility for 2 1/2 years, some she was not herself wandering in the halls at night. After a terrible fall she passed 2 months later. This was a very hard journey helping her to find her way back home, but I am so thankful that I was there with her. Thank you for this wonderful video.

3. Paule ;-D says:

My mom in already in a Memory care facility, a long term facility for Alzheimer. My dad has signs of dementia building in his life. I am so touched by this talk.

I am not always emotionally strong to dance gracefully with it all. At times, not so often thank God, I step on their toes as I take on my own rhythm instead of theirs.

This whole experience is certainly, without any doubts, lessons to walk the talk of Divine Love.

Thank you for sharing so much Love in action with all of us.

4. Susannah Lewis says:

This video passed on so sweetly the clear message of life is love and love is life lived fully.
    I wasn’t able to be at the seminar, so thank you all for passing this on.
    “Don’t leave anything on the table” is exactly what I needed to hear.

I have worked in hospice care for many years and I love how this shows what is really important, no matter your condition.

5. Peter says:

The courage and compassion of everyone on this panel is astonishing.
    Thank You to all of you, and to the seminar and blog staff for making this available to all of us.
    It’s precious and should be widely shared.

6. Kokoette Bassey says:

Very inspiring. May the blessings be!

7. Mary Pritchard says:

It has been an interesting time over the past year and a half having my mother in law live with us. I have seen her go from walking around to being fully bedridden the past 7 months. Every night I read several pages from an Eckankar book and we sing the HU before turning out the light. Her anxiety calms and she relaxes. We often discuss the mahanta and she sees a picture of Sri Harold. She seldom speaks but her eyes give recognition.
    I am grateful for having the opportunity to understand this disease and aid another Soul on the journey.

8. Susan says:

Thank you so much for publishing this. It will inspire so many looking for a way to find meaning when life becomes hard. The love is palpable, heart warming, inspiring. “Soul lives by giving.”

Thank you John for fulfilling your dream, your mission.
    This is one blog I would remember for a long while. It fills my being with an awesome awareness of the power of love. Love is real without illusion, bare for it chimes truth and leads me to the temple within. Thanks Martha, John and ECKANKAR for sharing this heart-to-heart message of divine love.
    Now, not yesterday nor tomorrow, is the golden opportunity in eternity. No cards on this table in a precious lifetime of spiritual adventure.

10. Bob and Jackie Allen says:

What an inspiration John and Marcia provided to us with this talk. Very moving. John, we will do our best to live your words, “Don’t leave anything on the table!” Who knew that John and Marcia would inspire us in their passing as well. We want to pass within three days of each other! Many thanks to their moderator for facilitating!
    With love,
    Bob and Jackie Allen

11. James Modera says:

One of the most inspirational moments I have ever experienced at an Eckankar seminar. I caught up with John after his talk and told him this.

He looked me in the eye and from his heart said to me “you’re a good man Jim”
    John’s life is proof that no matter what turn life takes, no matter what circumstance you are in you can always serve life with love. There is no other reason to live.
    To live is to give and to love is to live.

Your a good man! With much LOVE AND GRATITUDE

Jim Modera

12. Carol Cameron says:

My mother had Alzheimer’s. I learned early on that people with this condition really do live until they die. And in the earlier stages they certainly continue to have a need to be acknowledged as the wonderful people they have always been. I work as a home companion w/folks who sometimes have this disease. It is still possible to connect in a warm and supportive way; they are very sensitive to how others treat them. Their “light” continues to shine through. They can be full of humor, wisdom, and surprises. These moments return us to what it means to be a spiritual being living a human life. I loved this video; and appreciated John and Marcia’s grace.

13. Michelle says:

I didn’t realize until after I watched this video how much my heart needed opening. Thanks for publishing it – it was good to see John and Marcia again – I thought this talk of theirs, which I heard live at the seminar, was lost to “once only” history – I am so grateful it wasn’t. “Don’t leave anything on the table!”

14. Nnenna says:

That’s really touching and at same very inspiring story from the experiences and challenges faced by John Kulick who was supported by his wife Marcia. This husband and wife have so much love for themselves and state that love with other people wherever they find themselves. The health challenges faced by this two loving Souls did not stop them for living for love and service. It teaches us a lot, that as Eckists we should be prepared at all time to continue to love and to serve, and that was the statement John made when prompted by the moderator and he said “don’t leave anything on your table…” He knew the time is coming and despite his health challenges both him and his wife kept serving and like two love birds they are, they translated almost the same time. Wah Z, thank you for using these experiences to teach us more about life, love, service, gratitude, detachment, humility, and others.

15. Gillian says:

Thank you for showing Marcia and John’s talk. He demonstrated that life can still be fulfilling after the diagnosis of dementia. There is so much fear associated with the condition, and it can be a difficult illness to talk about. He showed that love helps us cope and rise above life’s challenges. Love gives us strength when times are tough.

16. Richard says:

thank you very much for this presentation, very touching

what a gift of the Mahanta that John and Marcia passed on together (or almost)