Two Keys to Happiness

Two Keys to HappinessBy Harold Klemp

I saw an advertisement for a little electronic device that makes a sound like a dragonfly. The ad said dragonflies are the mortal enemy of mosquitoes. “Be safe from mosquitoes!” it said.

Since we had a trip to Africa planned for this summer, I thought the device might be a good thing to take along. They have different insects there who haven’t tasted me yet and might consider me a delicacy. So I bought a few—then remembered on the plane that I’d forgotten to pack them.

When I got home from the trip, I was eager to try these things out. Feeling kind of foolish, I hung one of them around my neck. Then I figured if I was going to try these things, I might as well do it right—so I put on two and went outside.

The device was making a peculiar noise, a clicking sound like dragonflies supposedly make. The instructions had said that it’s best to use the device in a quiet area where noise doesn’t drown out the click. So I was out watering the flowers and feeding the birds, and the mosquitoes were just tearing into me.

“This thing isn’t working,” I said. “Maybe we have mosquitoes who are hard of hearing.”

Then I realized the water from the hose was drowning out the sound. So I turned off the hose. And the next thing I knew, a dragonfly flew over to me. The dragonfly kept trying to come closer and closer. This wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when I bought the devices.

I went inside and told my wife what had happened. “I can’t use these things,” I said. That week we got two more of them in the mail from an ECK friend. So I sat one in the window by my desk. One day I noticed a dragonfly buzzing around the screen.

The device didn’t repel mosquitoes, but it did a good job attracting dragonflies.

No matter what you do in life, if you can just love what you’re doing and see the gift of God in little things, you’ll be happy. To me, the dragonfly coming over was a big thing. It doesn’t take much to keep me happy.

Excerpt from What Is Spiritual Freedom? Mahanta Transcripts, Book 11.

30 Responses to Two Keys to Happiness

1. Randhif says:

I like your story because if one thing does not work as you thought, you found other pleasures from what is at hand and enjoy what came one,s way instead of showing displeasure and disappointment. I am grateful for the simple loving story which is my gift from my teacher, wayshower. Love

2. Helga Hoffmann says:

It is funny. But perhaps you can attract enough dragonfly to clean your garden of mosquitos. In my garden the swallows take care of the mosquitos. We put-up nests to attract more swallows. Show that they are welcome.

3. Michele Bluestone says:

I chuckled throughout your story. In the moment, it was just what I needed – a quick shift in consciousness to happy. It is truly the very little aspects of this life given that move us toward God Realization. Thank you for this precious reminder, a gift, this morning. May the Blessings Be. (Happy Face)

4. Rafiu Ajao says:

I was in the mall one day when a lady mused aloud in the insecticide section. “I wonder if this thing works,” she said. As it happened, I had tried that particular product and considered myself some sort of authority on it. So, I told her the product worked. It was a chemical-laden product that emitted mosquito-repelling odors, so the makers claimed. I corroborated my claim with a narration of how I had tried it out in a part of Texas where the mosquitoes were legion and as big as they were bold. I had pinned the product on my shirt as instructed and went outside for a few minutes. In the fifteen minutes or so I stayed outside, I killed 47 mosquitoes that were trying to suck my blood from various parts of my body. I had ended my story by concluding that the product did work because, out of the 47 mosquitoes, not a single one landed on the product.
    “Oh! it doesn’t work then,” she said and started laughing as she moved on to the next aisle. She was still laughing a few moments later when she returned to thank me.
    With such humorous view of life as exemplified in his story, little wonder it does not take much for Wah Z to be happy. I try to remember this as best I can.

5. Tina Snyder says:

Thank you Wah Z, this story made me giggle. 🤗

6. Gabi Gottschalk says:

A beautiful story. Thank you, Harold.

7. Mary Beth Little says:

Dragonflies are garden heroes and so are you. They look so delicate as they flit around the garden and it’s amazing the rainbow colors they come in as well as a huge variance in size. But it is their wings that are most spectacular; so delicate and yet strong enough to fly them anywhere and withstand storms. And so, we too must withstand the storms of life with the help of Eck, Sugmad, and Mahanta. What a wonderful story. Thank you

8. Katherine Mihm says:

Thank you Wah Z, we are two peas in a pod when it comes to finding the pleasures in the simple things. I take pure delight in nature and feel ever closer to you, the Sugmad and the Eck. I’m so grateful! I feel the Love!!

9. CINDY M CARSON says:

I love the ECKANKAR Blog. I look forward to receiving it, because I always find a story or a spiritual exercise that answers a question I’ve been pondering. Every time. Thank you. Thank you.

10. Nnena says:

What a beautiful story. These little stories matter a lot. It takes keen interest to learn about new things, it is a gift of spirit. Thank you Wah Z.

11. Lucille says:

Thank you Wah Z for sharing your story, could not stop smiling your Words touch the heart center. Again Thank you.
    I love you Wah Z. May The Blessings be. A very happy Soul.

12. Holly says:

Your optomism always amazes me and shows me how to be too.

13. Paula Mande says:

This is why I treasure you.. simple love and appreciation.

14. Ozovehe Faith Ozohu says:

Amazing how you are always speaking to me! Thank you for your ever abiding guidance.

15. AdemolaShote says:

My take here is enjoying the very moment now, irrespective of our expectations. Thank you Wah Z.

16. Geetha Murthy says:

Beautiful tips to remain happy. Thank you Mahanta, for the same. Sometimes, even though I love what I Do or whatever I choose to do, I am not happy and grumble for the things I only chose to do with love. This story explained so much, I am sure I will not complain or grumble. I have a beautiful and wonderful life because of your guidance and love and I must preserve it, nourish it. Once again, I am grateful for your compassion.

17. Chidera Nzeakolam says:

Thank you so much. The beauty of life
    MTBB

18. Gary Curtis says:

I love the last sentence, “It doesn’t take much to keep me happy.” I believe that’s an attitude that we could all benefit from adopting.

19. Yiscard Rubattino says:

Thank you Wah Z, for this beautiful story, and also for the people that took the time and write down theirs in this post. Baraka Bashad

20. Sylva Ukpor says:

‘It doesn’t take much to keep me happy’ just melted my heart! Thank you, Wah Z

21. Hoppe says:

Love & Thank you

22. Sue Haebig says:

I love your humor, Mahanta! Every twist and turn in this story brought me so much joy. Thank you.

23. Lyn Patrick says:

Lovely story and so true.
    Thankyou

24. Carmen Schoene says:

WOW! What a wonderfully touching story. That’s it. Life is full of surprises – and still, there is Love and be able to see the Love around us.

25. Mark Nudelman says:

I read this story with great interest about the dragonfly and about the noise it makes. I have recently watched a YouTube video about ancient mysteries that was intriguing. The learned speaker spoke Of ancient technique’s and lost technology which was used to Levitate heavy stones to make megalithic structures. He spoke of using sound to accomplish this. He also spoke of the dragonfly as an illustration of this principle in action. He said that experts could not understand how the dragonfly can fly at all because an analysis of its structure by engineers would conclude that it is impossible for them to fly as say a fly does. He said that the wings are filled with veins but do not contain fluid they are hollow. He said that somehow the sound that the dragon fly emits can levitate itself and move through the air. I was thinking of all this as I read Sri Harolds story. Sound plays in important part in my singing the word HU and I am lifted too!

26. Lovedales, Ghana says:

Thank you Wah Z. I was very eager to finish reading the story because from the beginning of the story, I felt the electric device will rather attract dragons and it did. Soul knows. Thank you for sharing.

27. Rama Badarou Soule says:

Wah Z: This is another story full of subtleties that awaken Soul to a higher consciousness, despite apparent obstacles or barriers. Thank you very much! Soul goes through various experiences in this school of life. You always teach me that any difficulty contributes to the development of Soul. I am fully aware of it.
    Fortunately, your love and your guidance never fail, whatever the situation. In addition, you assure me that you are always with me. True. I really feel it!
    I will continue to follow your recommendations. Thanks again Wah Z for these reminders.
    I really love you!
    May the blessings be! ♥

28. Onyii Okoye says:

Beautiful and simple. Thanks.

29. ann lapatka says:

Thank you for sharing your experience with the dragonfly and others. I find your spiritual observations very refreshing and unique. I am glad I found Eckankar.

30. Moses Nduekhe says:

Thanks very much Harji.
    Way back in high school a teacher taught us to always say : “what you have to do, you must like it.”
    We have to be able to create happiness for ourselves- love whatever we are doing and love our lives too.
    Pay attention to details. Take care of the little things in life as well as the big things.
    Love The MAHANTA and trust HIM absolutely.
    Live a very simple and quiet life.
    Use your GOD given talents- creativity. Do the Spiritual Exercises of ECK regularly.
    With all these, you are happy.