I Can Fly. Who Knew?

I Can Fly. Who Knew?By Patrick, Oregon

I was driving home on a stormy night, when my headlights suddenly outlined a solitary goose standing in the farm’s driveway. This goose shouldn’t be hereIt’s supposed to be in the barn, I thought. With the safety of the farm, domestic geese never really learn to fly; they just become fat and happy. So this lone goose would likely be a sitting duck for some hungry coyote.

But I was in my warm, dry car, wearing my good clothes. Outside it was wet, cold, and windy. Even though my inner guidance said, “Just do it,” my mind was trying to convince me the goose could take care of itself. After all, a goose can put up a big, nasty fight with its razor-sharp claws and biting beak. And normally, there is no way to walk up to a goose undetected.

But eventually I surrendered and braved the storm and possible injury to save that goose.

The next morning, I opened the barn doors for the farm geese, and my flock of overstuffed, lazy couch potatoes waddled out.

Suddenly the air exploded as a sleek, light-bodied goose rocketed skyward. I stood there with my jaw hanging open, watching this mystery traveler disappear into the morning light. When I glanced down at the flock, all thirty of them had their heads cocked to one side so they could watch the wonderful sight of a fellow goose flying high in the sky. Stunned, I realized that the night before I had struggled to save not a farm goose, but a wild Canada goose.

What happened next was even more incredible and transformative for me.

That day, and for months to come, the whole flock—every single one of them—left the security of the barnyard and flats where they normally spend their days and hiked up to the highest point of the pasture. There, to my absolute astonishment, they created their own flying exercises: they’d run down the slope, flapping their wings and squawking.

At first, only some were able to get a little airborne. But in time many got stronger and could glide three to five feet off the ground for up to eighty feet.

I was amazed they persisted  for so long, after only a glimpse of what was possible. And they achieved great results. These geese always had the potential to fly. But until they actually saw that wild Canada goose, they had never done anything but peck around the barnyard.

Now they ventured far from their normal safety and security and worked to achieve a goal, learning to soar to whatever extent they could. And even when they were in the barnyard, they flew across the field, celebrating their freedom.

The Mahanta was showing me something very important. I’d like to say I’m not like these geese: I’m not scared to venture out of my comfort zone and security; I am not a waddling couch potato. But in reality, we probably all have a little bit of silly goose in us. Yet, all it sometimes takes is watching one among us soar. And suddenly we remember who and what we really are.

For me, this experience was a strong reminder from the Inner Master that we are Soul—great spiritual beings of God. And we don’t have to live out our days pecking in the barnyard.

In ECK, we really can soar spiritually by practicing the spiritual exercises, creativity, and perseverance. We can be much freer than we ever imagined!

23 Responses to I Can Fly. Who Knew?

1. Anthonia Agbale says:

This experience just reminded of a leap of faith i took. Facing one of my fears- vast waters.
    thank you for sharing these beautiful experience with us.

2. RICHARD OKAGBARE says:

A really beautiful experience lovingly shared to inspire in simple prose. I think if babies could utter words we readily understand before they learn to crawl and walk, they might confess something similar to the experience of your domesticated geese. Many thanks, dear Patrick.

3. James Isiwu Aguwa says:

Good reminder for us always to be conscious of what we are as Soul, spark of God without any limitation.

4. Helga Hoffmann says:

It’s a great story I read it many times. And is it not amazing that one experience taught these geese they too can fly. How many experiences does the Mahanta have give us, encourage us that we can fly and we never even try.

5. Ezole Kangah says:

*Thanks for sharing. In ECK, we can be free in practicing the Spiritual Exercises of ECK.

6. Niyi Akande says:

A nice and beautiful piece for great achievement and inspiration.

7. Deinma Ateli says:

Wonderful inspirational story. Thanks.for sharing.

8. Annick says:

Je vais faire tout mon possible pour m’envoler encore plus haut, de plus en plus haut. Merci, merci pour ce partage !

9. Joyce Allen says:

This is one more lesson in following the inner nudges we get. The purpose was, at least perhaps, not really to rescue a wild Canada Goose but to take that goose to the flock where they would learn a lesson. It just emphasizes to me how important it is to act on our nudges.

10. Ed Busby says:

Wonderful story, thank you! Gets me wondering how many things we can observe in Nature that could be incorporated into our own Spiritual journeys!

11. Pamela says:

Thank you so much for sharing. We indeed have a lot of qualities as Soul that we can explore. The Spiritual Exercises are indeed are pedestals

12. Jean Marc says:

Thank you for sharing this experience. I read it more then once. Every time my heart open with tears. Being from Canada these birds have special meaning for me.

13. Brian Meek says:

That was a fun story. Thank you for sharing!

14. Ameerat says:

It’s a beautiful story. I can fly, who knew? 😀

15. Josue Rubi says:

Thank you for sharing that an amazing story. I have learned a lot. May the blessings be

16. Fred Udeh Okum says:

An amazing insight on how the ECK teaches us on a daily basis.

17. Maria says:

What a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing.

18. Afefa says:

Great story and a reminder! Yesterday we held a book discussion on Sri Harold’s book “ECK Wisdom on Spiritual Freedom.” The first chapter is about the eagle raised among chickens and never knew he could fly. We come as eagles…. Soul comes as an eagle so fly!

19. Carol Cameron says:

This was a great story. I love geese, and recently sent greetings to a flock of wild ones standing by a pond I was driving past. Thanks for sharing this amazing experience, and analogy for the spiritual life of venturing forth.

20. Michelene Lee says:

Thank you for your lovely story. We had a wild goose rest at our home with the chickens for a few days then one day the goose flew on it’s way. The ECK sends us love in so many beautiful ways.

21. Ann says:

While reading this story,I realised that I was a lazy goose too. I need to change. So I have planned to follow a strict rigid self discipline so that I can come out of this laziness and sour high into the worlds of God.

22. JEANETTE MADERE says:

I have goose bumps to say the least!

23. Natasha says:

That was a wonderful story!