A Technique to Go Slower

By Harold Klemp

Life puts you in situations that can cause you to panic. You have to remember to calm down, to get yourself, Soul, back in control of the mind. That helps you think clearly enough to see what needs to be done. Then you can take care of the situation.

Patience and composure are among the attributes of an ECK chela. What can you do to develop these two qualities in yourself?

In contemplation ask the Inner Master what you can do to go slower. Once you’ve figured out this secret, you can be patient. You can let the storms of life blow over you while you think of a way to find shelter.

One way is through surrender. Tonight, before you go to sleep, speak to the Mahanta. Say, “I am a child of thine. Take me where you will, to show me the ways of Sugmad [God].”

Soul—the spiritual principle, the creative spark of God—cannot work if you panic. Anxiety shuts down the creative centers. When you can’t think, whatever you try to do becomes one blunder piled upon another. If you slow down, the spiritual principle can begin working through you so that you can figure out the solution to the problem that is bothering you.

Excerpted from The Spiritual Exercises of ECK, where more than 130 spiritual exercises like this can be found. Learn more about spiritual exercises.

10 Responses to A Technique to Go Slower

1. Edito Chy says:

Patience and composure are indeed good words of wisdom. I have to try to remember these words as my attitude, and hopefully, with discipline I will be able to put them into practice. It is a great opportunity to be on this path (ECK) in this lifetime. Thank you Wah Z.

2. Selvaraju Maruthamuthu says:

Thank you Mahanta its a wounderful message for my realization.

3. Susan says:

This is a perfect gift for me right now, especially. I find I am rushing … mentally … attentionally [sic] … and I have experienced how great the reality is of placing my attention on the ECK, singing HU, and letting God work in my life. Specifically, the other day I was in mental turmoil over how to do a task I had to do very quickly, I could feel my mind moving into panic gear. I asked the Mahanta to help me figure out the process of the task, and he showed me a diagram, and I understood. I was able to do my task accurately, on time, and even learned a bit more on the process by doing the process. I was awed by the clarity. Thank you, Beloved Mahanta.

4. Stephan says:

So true so true. Modern business life does not allow anymore for good solutions, only quick solutions. Daily at work I try to take out speed, sometimes successfully, sometimes less. In private life the credo is “less is more”, having time for family matters and personal balance first, all the rest later or not at all.
    Thank you for the reminder.

5. Ameerat says:

Lol, @Richard Berling. I love turtles too 😀 . Thank you Mahanta. Thank you for this.

6. Richard Berling says:

This is great advice. I try to take the time to use the tools Eckankar gives us. I’ve taken to viewing my emotions and mind as restless pets. Besides, I really like turtles.

7. David Gardner says:

Yep. So true. I have experienced the “One blunder piled upon another” first hand. Thank you, Harji!

8. Adekunle says:

Thank you, Harji, for this great tip reminding us that as Soul we are imperishable even if all else around us crumbles. When centred in God through this simple technique given by the Master one is apt to know that sunshine and calm will follow the storm. In that steady-state Soul is in control. Soul in control and not in a state of panic can only leave to a positive outcome for the good of the whole no matter what the outward results look like This is my understanding of this with a lot of gratitude to the light giver for showing the way with emphasis on strengthening our bond with ECK (Divine Spirit) . May the blessings be.

9. Huseina says:

Thank you Z for this golden tool!

10. Passion MATONDO says:

Merci Mahanta pour la consigne.
    À chaque fois je viens lire tes consignes dans le blog et c’est magique. The living Eck master i’m living positive in Hu.