A Technique for Conquering Fear

By Harold Klemp

The ECK, Divine Spirit, pushes us into a situation where—by agreement, by saying we would like the next-higher stage of illumination—we open ourselves to changes in our life.

The moment we say to the Mahanta, “I am ready; take me where you will,” is like the flash of lightning. In the space of time that follows, we face the unknown. We go about our life, changes start to occur, and we don’t quite understand what’s happening or how it’s going to turn out.

If you are afraid of something and feel like you are frozen on the edge of a cliff, close your eyes and imagine the Mahanta reaching out his hand. Visualize him guiding you past the steep ledge to where the path widens into a meadow.

Then Wah Z says, “When you get to areas of the path that are unfamiliar to you, you can use a technique to help you adjust. Begin by singing HU. After a few minutes, you will feel less afraid. Then walk in a small circle once. Sing HU while you walk. This will get you used to this new area.”

He shows you how to do it, and you copy him. Then he says, “Each time you walk around, make your circle a little wider. Soon you will be comfortable in the new area.”

Excerpted from The Spiritual Exercises of ECKwhere more than 130 spiritual exercises like this can be found. Learn more about spiritual exercises.

10 Responses to A Technique for Conquering Fear

1. Sandy Stevens says:

Thank you for the timely reminder. May the Blessings Be

2. David Coldwell says:

There is one statement that has helped me through uncertain times and which provides a measure of detachment to allow me to proceed.
    It is to say, I will learn. Then believe it and go about learning.

3. Lucie Payette says:

Excellent exercise. I woke up in the middle of the night with an oppressing feeling of bad news. This was the first time it happened to me since the beginning of the spreading of the Covid 19. I live in Montreal, Quebec and I am confined in a retirement home. I don’t read much of the news in order to keep a good spirit. But well intended people informed me that we would be confined for a good year. So I tried this exercise. The Mahanta brought me back to my house, some 5 years ago and we walked around my garden of flowers in a spiral motion. As it went, the feeling left me and I felt free and relieved. I am now fine, confident in the Love of the Mahanta. In my soul, I am free. Thank you so much. May the blessing be.

4. Date Love Akayi says:

Thank you so much for this powerful exercise. It worked well when you do it with faith, belief and a profound love. It was amazing when you were filled with total release. Again, many thanks. May the blessings be.

5. Lovedales says:

Many thanks for the spiritual exercise. It is great.

6. Zacchaeus Akighir says:

Desmond;
    Many of us with Christian family members are faced with such invitations at times.
    One thing to do is to invite the Mahanta to accompany you. You then get along with your hosts as they carry out their church programs, while your inner awareness is still on the presence of the Mahanta.
    In most cases, you can feel the Mahanta pointing out to you how different their pronouncement on issues is, compared to his teachings to us. It could even open up an opportunity for you to explain your different view-point to your hosts.

7. Ogbomo Desmond says:

What of in the case where u where invited to a church program and is not your religion and you feel uncomfortable what are you expected to do at that time

8. kay willis says:

thank you for the quick answer to my questions. As always as soon as you ask there it is. I know you are always there.

9. Kashwayne says:

Lovely—nothing to add nor take away..MTBB

10. Rosemary Martin says:

Thank you for this exercise May the blessings be thank you