Be Yourself and Serve Life

By Harold Klemp

“Cecile” attended workshops at an ECK Worldwide Seminar and focused upon her mission: Be yourself and serve life.

Drawn to the park across from the site of the seminar, the Minneapolis Convention Center, she came upon a joyful wedding party gathered for photographs, while golden sunlight splashed the autumn leaves overhead. But the perfection of the moment was suddenly broken.

An angry bicyclist was cursing a car parked at the curb in front of the park’s entrance. It was blocking the bike lane.

The driver emerged from the car, explaining, “I’m trying to get these ninety-year-old people out of the car.” Then he added, “God bless.” Cecile guessed the passengers were the proud grandparents of the bride and groom. The harsh scolding of the bicyclist had opened the door for her to clear the air by offering an act of kindness to comfort the family.

“Here, let me help you,” she said.

Gently she assisted an elderly woman from the car to the safety of the sidewalk. Noticing the traffic had stalled at the nearby intersection’s green light, she began to direct traffic around the parked car. The driver thanked her and sped off.

Cecile was elated by her experience. She practically skipped along the sidewalk, stopping to visit with other ECKists.

After a bit, she observed the driver of the car approaching her on foot. He thanked her again for her intervention. Then he asked, “What group are you with?” He’d apparently linked her behavior to the organization at the seminar.

Eckankar,” she said, holding up her seminar badge so he could see and remember the word. At the same time, her other hand produced a HU card. “We practice singing this beautiful word, HU,” she explained. “It helps us experience God’s love directly, and it brings harmony.”

He accepted the card. “I’m pastor for this wedding, and I’m very interested in the spiritual practices of other religions. I will look into this.” It turned out he was also father of the bride.

Cecile noted how the rudeness of the bicyclist had unwittingly given her a chance to inform the pastor about HU, a higher level in his search for God.

So be yourself and serve life, as had she.

12 Responses to Be Yourself and Serve Life

1. Lyndy says:

I loved reading this story, thank you. As I work on being my true self I am happier than I’ve ever been. Having the Mahanta guide me in my life I relax more, opportunities come up where I happily share about ECK in whatever way feels right in the moment.
    Here is an example of how this happened for me recently and I wasn’t the one sharing ECK with another It was my friend who passed on that I was in ECK!
    I have a good friend who I go for weekly walks with and chat along the way. Yesterday at the end of our walk we had been talking about friendships and how different we can be in our lives and yet have a good friendship because of the love and acceptance of each others path in life.
    She is a friend who I can share things about Eckankar and I enjoy hearing about her soul adventures. As we were coming to the end of our walk and about to go our separate ways she shared that her daughter and a very good friend wanted to know about Eckankar. The daughter knew I was an Eckist because she had asked me once about Eckankar, but my friend must have told her friend I was an Eckist. The friend of my friend doesn’t have a spiritual practice and comes from a science background and was interested to know about something different she had no idea about. My friend said that they were both interested to know about this path I was on and had googled Eckankar and found it to be a good path!
    I love how the ECK works in so many different ways. Thank you Mahanta.

2. Pam Terrell says:

Thank you for sharing this lovely story. It is a reminder that there is always a way to be of service right where we are!

3. Rick Davis says:

Beautiful reminder that all Life is sscred, as we co-create with God in loving-kindness.

May the blessings be!

4. James Isiwu Aguwa says:

Be yourself and serve life is one of the key principles for ECKists. It requires self discipline and humility to demonstrate them in real life situations.

5. Louise Beaudin says:

Yes how often I’am not myself but serve life Being myself as Soul who I am. It is so easy and easier to serve live.

6. Eulalie Anokoi says:

There’s always a way. There’s always an opportunity for Soul that I am to let my light shine.
    I am Soul I am love. I give love to life and receive Mahanta’s love and blessings in return.
    Thanks for such a wonderful story.

7. Linda Walker says:

With your help and guidance in my dreams and out here in the physical, I’ve come to experience and know that we are all truly connected. A smile, a kind word, a thoughtful gesture is never wasted. You have helped me open my heart to more love and joy than I ever thought possible. Thank you dear Mahanta, for all that you do, for us all.

8. Akpobome Ogbon says:

Thank you Wah Z for this beautiful reminder to Be myself and Serve Life. Perfect timing indeed. Thank you Mahanta for always Providing, Protecting and Guiding.

9. Huseina says:

Oooowh yes, Wah Z! As you’ve always said; every moment is sacred. The story you have shared reminds me of my own experiences, where I have had to remember this. Times when something not-so-good is being thrown at you or someone else you know (and love!), and you have to recognise this sacredness of that very moment. Not as what it ‘appears’ to be. But looking further as your Chela.

Ceasing those moments to show love, is to me; a recognition of the opportunity the divine spirit has offered for us to grow spiritually. And that is what the lady chose to do. This is inspiring.

Thanks you, Master.

10. Pamela says:

The joy derived when we serve life can not be explained. Thank you Mahanta for the awareness

11. Emma Enakpotobor says:

Be Yourself And Serve Life: Is an uplifting mission.

12. Okpotu Gabriel says:

It is very true nothing can be compared to the joy and fulfillment we gain from being of service to life and I am always grateful to WAH Z for opening us up so such beautiful potential of Soul, I LOVE YOU MAHANTA.