Why Whisper?

By Harold Klemp

An ECKist went to lunch with a friend. During lunch the man told the ECKist a funny joke about a fat couple he had happened to see sitting next to him in another restaurant. The ECKist went away from the lunch meeting thinking that it was a really funny story. And he filed it away to pass on later.

That evening, the ECKist was at a Chinese restaurant with a business associate. When they finished their meal, the waitress brought the check with two fortune cookies. Just as the ECKist started to break open his fortune cookie, a large couple came into the restaurant and were seated at the next booth. The couple reminded him of the people in the funny story he had heard earlier.

While the ECKist was breaking open his fortune cookie, he leaned over to his friend. “I heard the funniest story today,” he whispered, and he  began telling the story about the fat couple to his friend.

Pausing to give effect to the punch line, he happened to glance down at the message inside his fortune cookie: “When one speaks only good about others, there is no need to whisper,” the slip of paper said.

This is an example of the Golden-tongued Wisdom. When the ECKist saw the fortune, he knew right away that the ECK, or Holy Spirt, was giving him a very direct message: Be advised, think again. If you’re speaking good, why whisper?

His friend urged him, “Go on with the story; I want to hear it.” But the ECKist said, “No, I’d rather not,” and showed him the fortune. “I don’t think I want to hear it now,” laughed the man.

When you’re walking your own path to God, you often recognize the message of truth that is given to you. You take the kernel of truth, and you go on. You may not understand the full impact of the message at that point, but likely as not, it’ll come into your consciousness a couple of weeks later, and it will build upon some other experience where you forgot again.

Excerpted from Stories to Help You See God in Your Life, ECK Parables, Book 4.

A Spiritual Exercise for You to Try

Potholes

During the day, each time you find yourself criticizing someone else about anything, stop. Look at yourself very gently, without criticism. Ask, “Is it possible that I am the person I have been criticizing?”

Sing, or chant, the word ECK, which purges from the mind the dross of ignorance.

Maybe you thought you were criticizing your friend, but you are really criticizing yourself.

When you realize this, you can take a lot of the potholes out of the road back to God.

Excerpted from The Spiritual Exercises of ECKwhere more than 130 spiritual exercises like this can be found. Learn more about spiritual exercises.

29 Responses to Why Whisper?

1. Mmadubuike Arinze says:

I learnt a terrible yesterday I was criticizing someone and the thing I step on a nail dat instant I stopped…. I realized I caused it.

2. Gabi says:

Myself being short, I had good lessons in how hurtful it can be when others make fun of your appearance, so I stopped fairly early making fun of others in regard how they look. Not to criticize people for their behavior I find sometimes much harder, but the question “Am I the person I have been criticizing?” is helpful indeed.
    Thank you, Mahanta!

3. Shane says:

I used to feel that it is best to stay all things aloud knowing that all is heard. It takes a bunch of knots on the head to realize it’s best to reserve all comments to be as positive as possible. Forget the junk and just keep moving.

4. Chioma says:

Thank you Mahanta. See the good in everyone and every situation. Never criticize.

5. Donna Henry says:

Potholes resonate with me very deeply. I often wonder if it’s part of my DNA. More recently I have been working with the Ducks image and sound- Quack – to remind myself to avoid the unnecessary Potholes on my journey home to God.
    Thank you Mahanta for this necessary reminder.

6. Aruldoss says:

This story is the reminder of asking 3 questions – Is it true? Is it kind? is it necessary? before you talk anything to others. Nice simple with clean message.

7. AdemolaShote says:

Good stuff, it’s just seeing yourself in others.

8. ipungubasila@gmail.com says:

Une piqûre de prise de conscience

• Matresa Dawn Stokes says:

Deeply applied. I learned long ago that the moment you point your finger at another person, is the moment when your very hand has three fingers pointing back at you. Rings true in many parables. To see every flaw in another as only a reflection of flaws in ourselves, keeps us conscious of what we ourselves need to work on. Understanding will come quicker and judgments will fall away. Glad to know I can continue to learn while avoiding potholes, by keeping this in practice.

9. Thomas Daniel Lungu says:

A wake call helping me to look at others as Soul, just as I am Soul. Thank you Mahanta for being with me always and showing me my way home to Sugmad.

10. Daisny Moocarme says:

Thank you for those words of wisdom. 💖

11. Nkereuwem Uyeh says:

The story was very uplifting. We may be high initiate. Often time we find ourselves in this potholes. Dear Mahanta I have heard you clearly.

12. Mark says:

I promptly finished patching 1 big pothole turned around and fell quickly into another big pothole. Lots of work.

13. Randhir Singh says:

Great story to caution me “ think and realize before I speak” . My lesson to remember

14. Karen Dansingani says:

I needed to be reminded of this….thank you Mahanta 💖

15. Amalisha says:

Every day is a lesson in humility, because humility brings us to love.
    – The Dream Master, Mahanta Transcripts, Book 8, p.145

When we are filled with love and gratitude, knowing that we are a gift to others we meet and they are a gift to us, we act in the highest principle.

16. Rama says:

This is a great reminder. I remember when I was young my grandmother used say that if you don’t have anything good to say about others please don’t say anything. Thank you Mahantha.

17. Jill Bryar says:

Thank you for this gift Mahanta!

18. l McKellian says:

I love this story. Thank you! I choose to remember the lesson. May the Blessings Be.

19. Paul Okonji says:

Reading this I felt a pang of guilt. It’s been like my personal warning. I have repeatedly done it. A lesson learned

20. Amoy says:

I like the term “potholes”. It’s a good description of all the obstacles that stand in our way on the road to spiritual unfoldment. One of the biggest pothole is Gossip. It’s a big challenge to most of us and the other is fault finding. Yes, we do have many challengers to face on this path to self realization but with the help of the Inner Master we can overcome it all, one pothole at a time.

21. AZU OMAMA says:

Thank you.This story touches my life in many perspective and i have to look or talk about others as myself.I am greatful

• Michael says:

While reading this story, I had the feeling the story is about me. A lot of times, I criticize people at the slightest provocation. Funny part is that I know the consequence of criticism and gossip, yet hardly restrained myself from doing so due to lack of discipline. I now realized better. Thank You Z.

22. Tina Snyder says:

Sri Harold mentioned in a talk once that it’s all about how we approach others … Every thought , word, or deed either pollutes or purifies…

ECK Blessings ✨

23. Gaye Bruce says:

A real wake up call of how we can fall into Pot Holes Thank you for sharing May the Blessing Be

24. M says:

Excellent thank you mahanta.

25. Rob says:

Poignant and clearly heard during recent events whereby I was criticized and took silent action with regard to my behaviour. As events unfolded there was a lesson for all parties regarding perception and behaviour.

26. Patty says:

This is such a lovely gem! 💎

27. Joseph Homsey says: