The Twin that Said Good-Bye

By Jack, Colorado

I was to be the cleric for a local ECK Light and Sound Service and thought it best to get a haircut. My longtime barber had translated (passed on) unexpectedly. His shop partner, Cheryl, had cut my hair on occasion, so I switched to her.

When I sat down in her barber chair, Cheryl asked the usual question: “How do you want your hair cut?”

I replied, “Just a light trim” and then added, “I’ll be wearing a suit this weekend and want to look nice.”

Even as these words were coming out of my mouth, I wondered, Why am I saying this?

I was soon to learn the answer.

Cheryl’s Questions

Of course, Cheryl asked why the suit, and we spent the next thirty minutes talking about Eckankar. She fired off some of the usual questions:

1. “Is it Christian based?”
      “No, Eckankar is not a Christian-based religion.”
    2. “Do you believe in God?”
      “Yes, we believe in God.”
    3. “How would you describe God?”
      Knowing of her background in Catholicism, where God is described with the attributes of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence, I replied, “God cannot really be compared to anything in the human experience except that of love. In the ECK teachings, we simply say God is love.”
    4. “Do you believe Jesus was the Son of God?”
      “A son of God, but not the one and only son of God. We believe Jesus was a mortal man who had a spiritual mission to teach the love of God for mankind.”
    5. “Do we have a Soul?”
      “You don’t have a Soul, you are Soul. Soul is who and what you truly are, and as Soul you are eternal. Soul exists because God loves It (you).”

The Big Questions

Other topics were sprinkled throughout our conversation; we talked about karma and reincarnation before getting around to the really big questions: “What’s it all about? Why are we here?” Cheryl asked.

I compared Soul to a very young child who only wants to serve itself by having fun and avoiding responsibility. So, like children, Soul has to go to “school” (also unwillingly) to learn the many lessons necessary to grow into maturity. Earth is such a school, and all of the necessary lessons are not learned in a single day or lifetime.

We played with the school metaphor for a while, and I introduced the concept of being a Co-worker with God. I gave examples of some historical figures who gave service. She thought about it and then asked, “But when do you get to rest?”

I almost chuckled at the seriousness of her tone and replied with my own question: “When have you been the most happy?”

That question seemed to take her aback, so I followed with, “Were you most happy lying around doing nothing, or when you were doing something you love?”

She replied enthusiastically, “Yes, with other people.” Then I suggested that could be one aspect of being a Co-worker with God.

Until this point, our conversation was mostly along a philosophical vein. Then Cheryl asked a question that was going to lead to a very deeply personal revelation: “Do people reincarnate together and maintain a relationship?”

“Yes, through the bond of karma or the bond of love. But the nature of the relationships will change—as a mother one time and then as the daughter or son the next. There are many possibilities, but usually love is the bond.”

Love Is the Bond

By now, my haircut was finished. I was getting ready to leave when Cheryl began to tell me her story.

She had twin daughters, Kathy and Katie, but Katie died from leukemia two years ago at the age of twenty-one. About a month after her passing, Cheryl awoke one morning at three o’clock with the full awareness that Katie had been there to say good-bye, as she was moving on.

Cheryl told me there was a most beautiful fragrance in the room. She got up and walked throughout the house, but the aroma was only in her bedroom. Too excited to sleep, she waited four hours to call Kathy, her other daughter, who was away at college.

As soon as Kathy answered the phone, Cheryl started to tell her what had happened. But Kathy quickly blurted out her story:

“Mom, you’ll never believe this, but Katie was here in my room last night. She was pulling on my toe to wake me up like she used to do when we were kids. I kicked her hand away, because I have a test this morning and needed to sleep, but she kept pulling. I finally woke up.

“She was here to tell me good-bye. The room was filled with a heavenly scent. Even my roommate could smell it when she woke up. Mom, it was real! Katie was real!”

Cheryl and Kathy knew that Katie, as Soul, survived death. The bond of love brought her back to say good-bye.

Since Katie’s visit, mother and daughter have been trying to find that fragrance in perfumes and other scents, but nothing comes close.

Usually I let my hair get rather long, but now I can’t wait for my next haircut so I can hear the rest of their story.

44 Responses to The Twin that Said Good-Bye

1. Mark says:

Jesus is not the one and only Son of God. Interesting.

2. Yenia Tetekpor says:

Jack, you were in the right place at the right time. And you did your job like a pure channel of the Mahanta. I would like to be like you. Cheryl was waiting for you. I imagine the joy of spiritual freedom that prevailed in this present moment.
    Love you.

3. Nancy Gaunoux says:

Thank you for showing us how easy it is to communicate the teachings of ECK, when one’s heart is open to being a co-worker with the Mahanta.

4. Michael Manning says:

Within a little more than a year, our wonderful doggie and our two precious kitties all left this often dark little world of ours and stepped into the greater worlds of divine Light, Sound, and Love.

It was a time of great spiritual growth, of laughter through tears, and of having the eternal nature of life confirmed over and over again.

For example, one night I was sleeping in our bedroom and my wife, Karin, was napping on the recliner chair in our living room. Our beautiful Siberian Husky, Sasha, who had just passed on, came into the bedroom and lay down on the bed beside me, nuzzling me, and licking my face. I knew that this was a lucid dream/Soul Travel Experience.

Next, Karin, who often doesn’t remember her dreams, felt Sasha giving her a wonderful tongue bath as she slept in the chair.

The next morning, we compared our dream memories and Karin was very grateful for the parallel experiences we had had.

The “icing on the cake” came about three years later when we adopted a calico kitten named Lucy. I was taking an afternoon nap and Lucy came to lie down beside me. After about an hour, my eyes fluttered open, and I looked deeply into Lucy’s eyes. Without even thinking about it, I said “Oh, hello Sasha. How wonderful to see you again!”

Again, laughter through tears once again… As Soul I just KNEW what I knew!

5. Mmadubuike Arinze says:

Thanks a lot… But the scent I once perceived a particular scent one day I was doing my spiritual exercise… Are scents associated with ECK Masters or another Soul visited us?

6. Arthur says:

Thank you for your wonderful story. It touched my heart and bring out tears of love, joy, and gratitude for the Mahanta and the opportunities we have…

7. Helga Hoffmann says:

What a great story Jack, thank you for sharing. I like all your answers, and see how the ECK plans everything.

8. Jideofo Akaraiwe, Nigeria says:

What a lovely way to present Eckankar. And your writing skills are great. I love it.

9. Pauline Z. Mawutor. Accra Ghana. says:

Wow, beautiful story,
    My mum and my eldest brother translated and in the inner they told me, that I am the only one who can help them complete their homes, my mum met me on the road leading to my father’s compound and told me that she had been looking for me that she was told that I am the only one who can help her complete her home. She took me to an uncompleted building near our home and pointed at it, “that is my home”, she said. Then I woke up. The next night she came with my brother, I had a very bad day at work and as I finished my HU song and lay down, she jumped down from my ceiling shouting aloud “who made you angry, my darling, “last baby of my womb.” Then, they both pleaded me to get pregnant that are coming as twins to support me and most of all, they want to be members of ECKANKAR. I told them that I don’t want to give again, so, we agreed they go to my first son who is also 3rd initiate in ECK.

It happened as agreed, and my mum came back to tell me that they have arrived. They are now my grandchildren, and enjoys singing the HU. I thank the Mahanta for his unending Love.
    May The Blessings Be.

10. MUDINGONZI DJIBRUL MULELA says:

THANK you Dear eckist. It soo wonderful history, we’are soul. Baraka bashad.

11. Dian M Ramseyer says:

Wonderful story!When my grandmother died I couldn’t make it back to the Midwest for her funeral. I was a new Eckist then and after the funeral someone said, “It was so odd that before the funeral there were pictures of you spread out over her bed. No one knew how they got there! We knew she was thinking of you!” It was amazing! Love always transcends even death.

12. Amanda says:

Wow!! What a great loving, heart opening story. So intense!! Just loved it. Thank you so much Jack for sharing!! 💞💫💤

13. Humphrey Igbinoba says:

Thanks you for sharing this 💓 warming story. Love is all that matters.May the blessings be

14. Alan Burdine says:

Wow, all great story’s are being told here. This is a everyday event that goes on for all.

15. Paul Okonji says:

I read this story a day before. Since I return back to Eckankar I have struggled to drop the old ways like the Christian ways of prayers for the contemplating ways of relationship with God, the Eck and the Mahanta. As a Christian, I had to do much prayers, waking up midnights to pray much of it born out of fear, needs and fulfilment.
    The transition has not been easy as I still combine the Bible Psalms and singing the HU.
    It’s been a gradual reunion with the Eck and the Mahanta. Had to download much of the Master talks, Eck music and some old Paul Twitchell works which have gradually put me back on track.
    To come back to the beginning, I had read this story a day before, midnight as I woke after contemplation. I had this urge to go back to this story.
    The purpose perhaps is open one up to an very easy way to discuss Eckankar with someone. I learned and gain a lot of insight to relationships, reincarnation, Jesus role etc.
    Thank you so much.

May the blessings be.

16. Laura SB says:

I am deeply touched by Jack’s story of the twins and the story about the woman ready to go and the rose scent. I am so blessed to have the HU and it carries me sometimes where my mom is on the inner planes.
    Its so wonderful to see her there and its all because of singing HU before bed. I wish everyone in the world who longs for God’s love could experience it!

17. Jackie says:

I had a similar experience in a dream after being in an ECK Satsang (discourse) class. I dreamt of my mother, who had translated (passed on) years before. The dream was real! I actually bugged my mom and we both told each other we loved one another. I realized that the path of ECKANKAR held perhaps many more spiritual experiences like this. This experience showed me that The ECK is truth!

18. Mary Cooney says:

Thank you, Jack, for your story and the many lessons I learned from it. I admire your courage and eloquent words in sharing ECK’s message. I often find myself holding back from sharing ECK with strangers feeling that I may not have the correct words to share my profound experiences. Yet, the message for me-and through your story-is to be open to love, and let love guide the way which usually is to just listen to others! Thanks also for sharing the loving experience in the nursing home. It was yet another lesson for me that love and the Mahanta are everywhere at all times. As the master said, “Everyone is an ECK chela no matter what religion they pursue.” In gratitude for the love you both have shared.

19. Jennifer says:

I lost my mom to cancer some years back. She lived with my dad 3 hours away from me.
    I vividly remember her last words to us before she translated. “Do not leave your Dad.” I battled over the distance to visit frequently and when to do that together with my siblings. Finally we decided to get him closer. Very close so he could have his space but also that we could visit as and when.
    We moved his belongings in two batches. The first set with escorts. In the car during the second trip, there was a peculiar smell and a presence. I turned to confirm whether the other two people in the car felt same. But apparently I was alone on this. I got his things home safely. A day after, my Dad hesitantly arrived. I was worried about his change and how he would cope.
    The next day my Dad called and said he slept like a baby and that my mom said she joined me to see the place and she loves it and said thank you. Then I remembered the smell and the presence.
    Thank you Mahanta for the experiences.

20. Diana says:

I loved both Jack and Theresa’s story. What a way to start the morning.
    👁💙💤

• Joe Homsey says:

There was a time 15 years ago when our local Eckankar group opened a new Eckankar Book Store in a convention center shopping mall on the busy beltway perimeter outside of Atlanta, GA in the city of Marrietta. It was an indoor mall situated between a huge hotel and a massive convention center. There was lots of foot traffic back and forth everyday. We were required by our lease to be open 5 to 8 hours every day, seven days a week. We needed lots of volunteers to man our store. One day I was there manning the store. A middle aged couple walked up to the entrance and began reading some of the material in the showcase window. I walked over to the entrance and asked if they had any questions. The lady shook her head, walked out into the hallway and sat down on a bench. The man, looked at me and said, “Yeah, I have a few questions.”

I invited him inside. We stood near the desk and he began to ask some religious type questions. The questions were pretty detailed and most of them were posed from a very Christian perspective. I politely responded to all his questions. I relayed some of my own personal views and experiences to answer some of the questions. As time went on, he seemed to become a little more at ease and the question and answer interaction became more conversational.

He ended up revealing why he and his wife had come to our bookstore. He was a Southern Baptist minister from the nearby town of Dallas, Georgia. I had been through Dallas, GA before. It is the core of the Deep South. Outside the county couthouse flies the Dixie Southern Cross flag. It doesn’t get much more Deep South than Dallas, GA…and it is an area that the Southern Baptist rule. One of this minister’s faithful had seen our Eckankar bookstore and had reported it back to his minister. He and his wife had come to investigate this thing called Eckankar. I spent over an hour and a half with this gentleman…all the while as his wife sat nervously twithching on the wooden bench outside the store. In the end, the minister exteded his hand to shake mine. He looked me in the eye and said. “I’m not going to pretend I know and understand everything you talked about here today, but one thing is for sure I know is that you love God, and that’s the most important thing. I’m going to go back to my church and let everyone know there is nothing to fear about you and your group.”

21. Fred Udeh Okum says:

Beautiful stories..

22. Kwaku Mensah Gavor says:

This is Amazing. May the blessings be 👏

23. Anne says:

I love your way of explaining about ECK in the most simplest terms such as comparing Earth to school and Souls to unwilling children sent to school for learning. It’s certainly a lesson for me to keep things simple with everything in Life. And also while explaining about ECK to anyone, I understand how important it is to find simple terms or simple ways to help others know what it is instead of going into too much depths or understanding about it which I feel doesn’t serve the purpose. Life is meant to be kept simple and not complicated. This is one of my lessons from Mahanta. I loved your story and I feel you are a highly enlightened Soul with so much wisdom about Life and ECK. Sending love and best wishes to all Souls reading this. May the blessings be.

24. Janice says:

Such a beautiful story thank you 💙

25. ROLAND EFERHIO says:

Love indeed so beautiful

26. Paul Akpokodje says:

I love your story and how you calmly explained the teachings of ECKANKAR. As a twin myself, I can relate and having lost a loved one, I can also relate. But knowing and seeing this Soul in the other worlds of God carrying about their lives, I am indeed grateful for the wisdom and understanding of the Light and Sound of God in my life that indeed Soul Exist Because God Loves It. Thanks for your story. Cheers

• Peter E Akpokodje says:

Thanks bro. We came back to share this post and be more. It’s been lifetimes in the making.
      Love is all. Thanks Mahanta.

27. Deb Joy says:

Wow. What a detailed, and beautifully told story. Thank you Jack! Reading this today certainly helped this isolated Soul feel a little less alone. May the Blessings Be

28. Katty says:

Lovely.

29. Jan E Krause says:

A beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.

30. Mary Hanson says:

The Mahanta prepared her and Jack was there as an extension of the Master’s hand and being a coworker. He covered everything beautifully! Thank you for sharing.

31. Emasea says:

Love is all. Tnx for sharing

32. Vic Weatherford says:

Even after 44 years as an Eckist, stories like this still have the power to bring tears to my eyes. Thanks, Jack.

33. Iniubong Efiong says:

Really nice story. I love it.

34. M says:

Very very beautiful story, thank you very much,💐❤️🙏🏻🦋, God blessings be.

35. Ann Marie Murphy says:

I so appreciate this story. It was heart opening Jack! Thank you for sharing. Those times when we ask, “Why did I say that?” are so important because in hindsight we recognize that we are being asked by the Holy Spirit to help another Soul on their adventure/journey back to God.
    I also liked the story about the nursing home experience. This person, also a student of ECKANKAR, was helping to another Soul in their transition to a new life, a special privilege indeed. BTW the fragrance of roses is associated with the Mahanta, the Inner Master in ECKANKAR.
    This blog and the Animals are Soul blog are so uplifting.

36. Joy mark says:

Thanks for sharing, I love your story.

37. Laurel D, California says:

What a wonderful conversation, Jack! I was especially impressed and touched by your response in #3 “…except that of love.”

38. Scott Persons says:

An incredibly beautiful story about the reality of Soul.

39. Theresa says:

I worked in a nursing home at one time, and one day as I walked along the corridor I could smell the most magnificent aroma of fresh roses coming from a particular room. Loving flowers, I was keen to see them for myself, so I paused at the doorway and poked my head in hoping for a glimpse.
    The lady of that room was seated on the side of the bed.
    The bed was neatly made up and the resident was immaculately dressed and seated with her hands folded, looking as though she were ready to go out somewhere.
    I introduced myself and the lady told me her name was Sarah, and to come in.
    I told her that I couldn’t believe there were no roses beside her bed, as the fragrance was so heavenly as I had walked past.
    She excitedly told me that her family had visited her the previous night, to show her her new house, and she was so happy.
    I felt that it wasn’t likely that she would be moving out from the nursing home, but I said that it sounded lovely, and she happily told me to go on my way and that it was nice to have had the chat together.
    A few days later I was at home, reading the newspaper, and I noticed Sarah’s name in the deaths notices.
    She had indeed passed over the day after we spoke.
    I remembered the heavenly fragrance of the invisible roses, and knew then that indeed she had received a visit from her loved ones from the other side, to show her her new home.
    No wonder she had been so happy, calm and peaceful, sitting on her bed, and ‘ready to go’..
    A beautiful experience I was blessed with and I’m glad to have the opportunity to share it.
    Thankyou. May the blessings be.
    Thank you Sri Harold for your wonderful blog

• Peter E Akpokodje says:

All you had to do was just be, just be in the moment. Beautiful experience of life after death.
      Many thanks from my heart for sharing.

40. Vaughn Russ says:

Thank you, I needed that. A beautiful story.

41. Arash says:

Thanks for sharing, it’s a beautiful story.