Avoiding Daily Karma

Karma describes our actions and reactions in life. It is one way God teaches us grace and respect for ourselves and others.

Spiritual students of Eckankar, also known as chelas, work with the Mahanta, the Living ECK Master to resolve karma from past actions and learn techniques for making wiser choices.

It benefits all when we harmonize our actions and reactions with the ECK (also known as the Life Force or the Holy Spirit) which sustains the universes. This puts us in alignment with Sugmad, Eckankar’s name for God, which is the source of all life.

The exercise below offers practical tips for dealing with karma and living in greater harmony with life.

By Harold Klemp

As karma surfaces, it works out through the weakest point in our body. As quickly as we can release our attachment to whatever is hurting us, the karma can pass off. This way we stay balanced.

When I was a chela in ECK, the Master once showed me how to make less daily karma. He stressed the importance of words in everyday speech. Comparative words such as almost, nearly, and pretty near used too often make us seem indecisive to the people we live and work with.

I began to substitute more direct speech.

He also told me that the overuse of demanding words such as should, ought, and must belong in the vocabulary of a person who desires control over others. People sense that and shy away from him. That aversion is karma. . . .

But such modifications as better word selection are really cosmetic changes. Daily karma is resolved best through this one simple change: Say and do everything in the name of the Sugmad, the ECK, or the Mahanta. Then your life will begin to turn around for good.

Excerpted from The Spiritual Exercises of ECK, where more than 130 spiritual exercises like this can be found. Learn more about spiritual exercises.

24 Responses to Avoiding Daily Karma

1. Okome Evelyne says:

Bonjour Mahanta c’est ce dont j’avais besoin en ce moment, vos conseils tombent à pic. Merci maître

2. UKIE Ifeanyi Idam says:

Thank you Mahanta for this piece. I’ve learnt a lot too from the comments. My appreciation to all those who comment.

3. Alan Burdine says:

I try to stay balance, even when the thought comes up< that`s because of being an human being. There are times when i focus on the HU and at times you for assistance. Hu is love. Thank you Harji.

4. Casey Louie says:

I love this coming directly from the Mahanta! If words make a big difference, tone of voice might too!

5. Linda Walker says:

Thank you so much Harji. You are helping me to become more aware of my thoughts before speaking. This is changing how I sound, look, and project. Choosing to be this way takes practice and my full attention but I love the effect on others as well as myself. Your above suggestion is a beautiful refinement. Am so grateful.

6. Adedire Tobi says:

Thank you Mahanta, do everything in the name of Sugmad, Eck or Mahanta. It’s really karmaless

• Veronica B says:

Gratitude to the Mahanta, the ECK and the Sugmad!
      Grateful for all the comments too. Each has given a unique and inspiring contribution, sharing the Light and Sound in a special way.

7. Larry (Laurence) Davidson says:

Thank you! I needed to hear this in order to practice a change and awareness in my daily life.

8. Craig Phillips says:

Thank you very much Z! These reminders are always so helpful.

9. Felly Shab MOMI says:

Thanks a lot Wah Z for that heartly teachings!
    These are words that we often use by errors without reminding with daily karm effect in our environment.

10. Alamaia Will says:

Seeing the Mahanta in the face of all is another way for me to do all in the name of the Sugmad, the Eck and the Mahanta. Plus, the Blessings are boundless.

11. Amanda says:

I appreciate the “how-tos,” especially the timely reminders to stay on track using direct suggestions. Short and sweet!

12. Ant Dugmore says:

Thank you Master for these beautiful words and these beautiful Golden Teachings.
    How truly blessed I am to be one of your chelas.

13. Peter says:

When reading this article about how to avoid daily karma somehow I expected something else. But then reading about the examples of minor word changes made me think about my wording a lot. There is lots of improvement…
    Thanks for such a great practical advice.

14. DANIEL EKPU says:

Thank you for this, but, my experience as an Eckist here in Lagos, Nigeria is pretty tough….it appears I’m never good, no matter how hard I try….even, the more my family and I sing HU daily (which we’ve been doing 3x a day all through the lockdown), the more the jealousy/hatred/aggression against my family and I for no reason, still, I’m not bugged because I understand.

15. KUYINU ADEYEMI says:

Yes, it helps in my spiritual unfoldment. Thank Mahanta. May the blessings be.

16. Paul Boland says:

A very timely reminder in these days of change and lockdown- thank you 👍🙏❤️

17. Sophia Irving says:

While watching the news I am made aware when I hear and see what’s happening locally, state wide and world wide to remain neutral verbalizing, thinking and having no opinion in the acts of mankind. I had not realized though I would make mention of a news headline that I was judging. So subtle and this happens more often until I would often say, Show me thy ways O Sugmad. Teach me thy path. Lead me in thy truth and teach me. On the do I wait all day. Always in the classroom and ready to listen, see and learn so I can practice all I have learned starting with myself. Thank you Mahanta, thank you Eck and thank you Sugmad for all you do on my way home.

18. ARLENE FORBES says:

YES ALWAYS TRY SMILE AT ALL NO MATTER WHAT BUT NOW WITH MASK ON ITS BEST TO SHOW KINDNESS AS MUCH AS ONE CAN WITH ALL I TRY KEEP HU ON MY LIPS DAILY WHICH IS ALL I NEED

19. Martin Dandeneau says:

Thank you, I needed this. For sometimes the days are long.
    With Love in Eck.

• Mark says:

I concur with Casey. Tone is a big big marker. Being in a relationship, if my tone has an edge to it, my partner immediately responds with an even sharper edge to it. Ouch!

20. SuZanne says:

Nice comment above. I have noticed that too. Just by changing my tone of voice I change interactions with people and pets.

21. Matresa DAWN Stokes says:

If every sound we make is a vibration of energy that will create our reality and attract more of the same energy, then every word spoken is important. Every single word. Changing our daily language to produce a higher positive vibration, is essential to changing the vibration of our thoughts and consciousness. Gratitude and continued practice for this confirmation of positive progress in my daily language.